Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
I love how the picture they used is cut desperately to keep the massive 20 storey apartment building next door out of the image.

At least these people actually claim to be next to the development, rather than elsewhere in the city, but it's insane they are freaked out about this, they have a building twice or three times the height next door.

Shadows? You mean, like the ones you already have? People overlooking your home, like the ones you already have?

*rolls eyes*....whatever NIMBYs gonna NIMBY.

Oooo nefarious! A 6 foot reduction in setback... and even worse... UNSPECIFIED REDUCTION in parking requirements?!?!? These people would probably oppose a duplex being built on the lot.
(02-15-2022, 07:04 PM)clasher Wrote: Oooo nefarious! A 6 foot reduction in setback... and even worse... UNSPECIFIED REDUCTION in parking requirements?!?!? These people would probably oppose a duplex being built on the lot.

Not sure if this is joke in reference or not, but there was a Central Frederick duplex proposal that was being opposed through to the OLT, so absolutely correct!
Gotta love when people are opposed to a development having less parking then normal. You're afraid of less traffic in the area than if it had the usual capacity?

I fear the actual thought is 'if these people don't own a car than they must not make as much money.' So there's THAT can of worms.
(02-16-2022, 01:01 PM)KevinL Wrote: Gotta love when people are opposed to a development having less parking then normal. You're afraid of less traffic in the area than if it had the usual capacity?

I fear the actual thought is 'if these people don't own a car than they must not make as much money.' So there's THAT can of worms.

I've said it a few times before...but I think it's part of the culture war.

These people don't want change, they don't care if that change is a building, a bike lane, or just the existence of people who are in any way different from them.

Rich people who don't drive are as uncomfortable to these folks as poor people who can't drive.

I suspect some of them also have this belief that nobody doesn't drive, so clearly if there is not enough parking, these people will bring cars and park them in their driveways or something....
(02-16-2022, 01:01 PM)KevinL Wrote: I fear the actual thought is 'if these people don't own a car than they must not make as much money.' So there's THAT can of worms.

Bolded for truth.
(02-16-2022, 01:37 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I suspect some of them also have this belief that nobody doesn't drive, so clearly if there is not enough parking, these people will bring cars and park them in their driveways or something....

Maybe there is an element of classism, but I think this is a lot more plausible.

(02-17-2022, 08:25 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 01:37 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I suspect some of them also have this belief that nobody doesn't drive, so clearly if there is not enough parking, these people will bring cars and park them in their driveways or something....

Maybe there is an element of classism, but I think this is a lot more plausible.

I would say its primarily the street parking concern, especially when its because of the ironic reality they have more than the 1-2 cars their old, not car-centric century homes and lots can accommodate. If someone starts taking their street spot, what then!
One of Cambridge’s oldest farmhouses up for sale

The house sits in the middle of a 71-acre lot that will soon see 250 to 350 new residences rise up around it in east Galt
(03-14-2022, 10:15 AM)Acitta Wrote: One of Cambridge’s oldest farmhouses up for sale

The house sits in the middle of a 71-acre lot that will soon see 250 to 350 new residences rise up around it in east Galt

I’m happy that there are going to be so many pretty good looking townhomes in this new subdivision plan, but how is it even still possible to build detached ones in 2022?
(03-14-2022, 11:27 AM)bravado Wrote:
(03-14-2022, 10:15 AM)Acitta Wrote: One of Cambridge’s oldest farmhouses up for sale

I’m happy that there are going to be so many pretty good looking townhomes in this new subdivision plan, but how is it even still possible to build detached ones in 2022?

Lol...most of our development area is still exclusively detached housing.

This is the problem. Even brand new things we build today are still broken. It's crazy that we refuse to even build greenfield stuff good.
Proposed Waterloo suburb inches forward but big planning disputes remain

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...emain.html
There is a sign up for this project on Franklin Ave but it's not on the Cambridge Current Development Applications and I can't find it in any sort of online search. There is a public meeting scheduled about it in April.

840 & 940 Main St E and 345 Franklin Blvd

[Image: 4VfEJSq.jpg]

There is an upcoming virtual community engagement session on Tuesday, April 5 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. for the Lower Doon Secondary Plan.

During the session, staff will provide an overview of:
  • Lower Doon Land Use Study (approved by city council in March 2021)
  • project schedule
  • key milestones
  • future opportunities for input
Three rental towers planned for King E.
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...ZKEiPCHjRs

https://archive.ph/dGJQv

Quote:KITCHENER — A proposed three-tower development on King Street East near Heffner Toyota received approval from Kitchener’s committee of adjustment on Tuesday to move ahead.
Property owner and Vive Development developer Stephen Litt plans to build three rental towers on King Street and Cameo Drive.
The high-density apartment buildings will stand at 24, 23, and 19 storeys with a total of 946 apartment units.

The project at 3241-3247 King St. E. and 108 Cameo Dr. will have two levels of underground parking and two levels above grade.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »