Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
At the West End Condo site they have started placing precast sections on the foundation. It is odd to see the crane down in the area they are placing sections in though

The Reeds Heritage site at Block Line and Homer Watson has been fenced off. There was a site trailer there now and a lot of activity this morning.
What's planned for that site?
It has been a low rise, town houses and I think retail at another point
A 250-home development is planned at Ottawa and Trussler in Kitchener.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/933...kitchener/

There are unanswered questions about both the natural features and the unique modernist home on the property.
Ideally they would have put a roundabout at Ottawa/Trussler to help support future growth when they reconstructed last year. There's enough land for it and the traffic volume is really only heavy during rush hour and the Mannheim garage sale.
(04-30-2019, 05:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What's planned for that site?

according to the city's online building permit look up there is going to be 2 towers of unknown height and one floor of underground parking. the lot is zoned commercial.

Apparently 12 storeys counts as a 'tower' in north Hespeler. NIMBY vibes all over this Record story:

Tower planned for Forbes Estate in Hespeler is too tall, neighbour says
(05-14-2019, 11:04 AM)KevinL Wrote: Apparently 12 storeys counts as a 'tower' in north Hespeler. NIMBY vibes all over this Record story:

Tower planned for Forbes Estate in Hespeler is too tall, neighbour says

Lol, good ole NIMBYs.

My TINY condo building is taller than that.
I have found some new information concerning the mysterious towers at Ira Needles and Highland.

According to http://www.horizon-concrete.com/projects/galena-towers, The project will be called 'Galena Towers' and will contain a 15 story apartment building and a 16 story apartment building. From Google maps, it appears that the architect is SRM Architects and that Strik, Baldinelli Moinz and MTE Consultants are in charge of the engineering. 

This will be the largest suburban condo tower development in the region. What is amazing is that just 10 years ago, a 16 storey development anywhere in Kitchener would have been rare and fascinating.
It looks like they are preparing to build something on Morrison Rd. at King.

(05-26-2019, 05:59 PM)Acitta Wrote: It looks like they are preparing to build something on Morrison Rd. at King.

I noticed that last week - it's an odd shaped lot, but room for some townhouses, perhaps?
It's this project, the area looks so different with the vegetation cleared:

Https://www.therecord.com/news-story/725...velopment/

There seems to be concerns with traffic in this area. The traffic at times is heavy. I would be interested to know if the ION is planning a station near here that would alleviate some of the traffic problems for the the development.
In an ideal world, there'd be a stop with access to Freeport Hospital, but I don't think it's contemplated.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »