Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
(04-11-2018, 11:31 PM)razzie13 Wrote: I'm surprised nobody has said a peep about the Pioneer Park Plaza redevelopment. It's getting harder to miss

Nice, thanks for sharing! That plaza was seriously outdated. Built in the 70's and hasn't changed since. Lots of housing out that way, but really no decent place to shop nearby other than that cramped Zehrs. Will be nice to have a LCBO there as well...

Clash over wanting to build four homes on a plots potentially severed from a historic property in Dune.
Not really sure how I feel about this one.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/840...ity-rules/
(04-18-2018, 05:46 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Clash over wanting to build four homes on a plots potentially severed from a historic property in Dune.
Not really sure how I feel about this one.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/840...ity-rules/

Same here. I thought I recalled something about an agreement made by the former property owners and registered on title, which would push my opinion strongly in the direction of “you knew what you were buying, request denied”, but I can’t find anything about that in the article which makes me think I’m remembering a different case.

I just hope the new houses are tasteful given their distinguished neighbour. Some new houses are frankly hideous, and they look even more so next to a heritage building.
I don't really care one way or the other, but the house is not very visible from Bechtel and it faces Doon Valley. Moving the outbuilding seems to me to be the most significant part of the proposal in terms of heritage (allowing three severed lots rather than four would solve that issue, I think). Some mature trees might be lost.
The article states it pretty clearly. The previous owners never put anything forward, so while heritage planners suggested they wouldn't allow it, nothing went on the record.

The important detail that heritage no-change advocates are conveniently ignoring is spelled out clearly, too: the "heritage views" from the road that they are trying to preserve are views from a road built in the 80s. Ergo while you can argue that the house is heritage, the views are 100% not heritage at all, an open and shut case.

The owners also bring up the important thought that doesn't often get mentioned: heritage advocates ask for a lot, but they aren't the ones paying the bills. I wonder how differently we would approach heritage if we assigned its extra costs to the general tax base, not just in terms of upkeep, but if we take heritage neighbourhoods which we might rightly think should be at least capable of supporting 4-6 storey small-rise residential, but are kept at 2 storey single detached, what is the foregone tax revenue, and increased costs?

We here love to talk about how the costs to the city of a suburban home are far more than suburban taxation pays for, and that the costs of a residence in 1Vic to the city are far less than the taxes they pay, but we never really talk about the effects of heritage and single-detached zoning, and how they can very much be a big factor (even a bigger factor than suburbia?) in our costs. Nobody realistically expects that we could be making a dense area in Doon, but we could be making far denser but still incredibly livable areas all throughout our cores, but in the name of "heritage" and "stable neighbourhoods" and single family homes, we don't.
If people are interested in what old farm houses looked like they could always visit Doon Heritage Village.   Imagine if the Joseph Schneider Haus on Queen Street kept it's original acreage, all 181 hectares.  There might not be a Kitchener today.
(04-18-2018, 08:54 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The article states it pretty clearly. The previous owners never put anything forward, so while heritage planners suggested they wouldn't allow it, nothing went on the record.

The important detail that heritage no-change advocates are conveniently ignoring is spelled out clearly, too: the "heritage views" from the road that they are trying to preserve are views from a road built in the 80s. Ergo while you can argue that the house is heritage, the views are 100% not heritage at all, an open and shut case.

The owners also bring up the important thought that doesn't often get mentioned: heritage advocates ask for a lot, but they aren't the ones paying the bills. I wonder how differently we would approach heritage if we assigned its extra costs to the general tax base, not just in terms of upkeep, but if we take heritage neighbourhoods which we might rightly think should be at least capable of supporting 4-6 storey small-rise residential, but are kept at 2 storey single detached, what is the foregone tax revenue, and increased costs?

We here love to talk about how the costs to the city of a suburban home are far more than suburban taxation pays for, and that the costs of a residence in 1Vic to the city are far less than the taxes they pay, but we never really talk about the effects of heritage and single-detached zoning, and how they can very much be a big factor (even a bigger factor than suburbia?) in our costs. Nobody realistically expects that we could be making a dense area in Doon, but we could be making far denser but still incredibly livable areas all throughout our cores, but in the name of "heritage" and "stable neighbourhoods" and single family homes, we don't.

That is a fair point, although it would be interesting to see the numbers in this particular case - the revenues from the sale of four new lots would be substantial, and probably well above what the current owners have put into the property (I speculate).  Not that that decides the matter one way or the other - the current owners just made a (potentially) good business decision, istm.

(04-18-2018, 09:14 AM)jgsz Wrote: If people are interested in what old farm houses looked like they could always visit Doon Heritage Village.   Imagine if the Joseph Schneider Haus on Queen Street kept it's original acreage, all 181 hectares.  There might not be a Kitchener today.

On the other hand, didn't the Region and Kitchener just settle a tussle about whose heritage trumps whose at Schneider Haus? Two buildings in the (Kitchener-designated) heritage district are being torn down to emphasize the Region (and National Historic site - designated) historical site.
I think something major that might include demolition is happening soon to the Food Basics Plaza On Highland Rd/Lawrence Ave, at least the old Angel's Diner up to the old Dollar Store section. Diapers and More is closing there retail store according to there facebook page it's due to Construction and having to make an immediate decision. Kumon moved a few months ago and now Beat Goes on is moving to a new Waterloo location 341 Weber St.N next month. There are construction fences throughout the property they seem to be sawing away at some asphalt and all the street plaza signs have been down for Months. I started this thread http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...p?tid=1173 for any rumors people might hear or if someone finds something online. Any guesses of what's going on?
(05-09-2018, 10:47 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I think something major that might include demolition is happening soon to the Food Basics Plaza On Highland Rd/Lawrence Ave, at least the old Angel's Diner up to the old Dollar Store section. Diapers and More is closing there retail store according to there facebook page it's due to Construction and having to make an immediate decision. Kumon moved a few months ago and now Beat Goes on is moving to there Waterloo location next month. There are construction fences throughout the property they seem to be sawing away at some asphalt and all the street plaza signs have been down for Months. I started this thread http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...p?tid=1173 for any rumors people might hear or if someone finds something online. Any guesses of what's going on?

This is big news.  I've thought if this plaza was ever reconfigured that access to/from the trail in the back should be added, plus a crossing and access to the lakeshore trail to the south could be accommodated.  

Of course, I have no doubt that such an idea is nowhere in the consideration right now.
Have any permits been issued? I'm wondering if they're not just renovating?
No permits issues. And a major reno would require a permit, too.
New project, once more details are known we can create a dedicated thread.

The location is Northfield and Davenport area.
High rise apartment
/condominiums designed by ABA Architects.

http://www.abarchitect.ca/Project.htm?bS...9047F0874A

(05-21-2018, 10:03 PM)rangersfan Wrote: New project, once more details are known we can create a dedicated thread.

High rise apartment

Ah nice. Looks like it would replace the mostly-unused parking lot for the neighbouring apartment building complex.
(05-24-2018, 03:01 PM)Markster Wrote:
(05-21-2018, 10:03 PM)rangersfan Wrote: New project, once more details are known we can create a dedicated thread.

High rise apartment

Ah nice. Looks like it would replace the mostly-unused parking lot for the neighbouring apartment building complex.

The render looks so monolithic given it's only about 16 storeys.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »