Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
I just hope something gets built there soon - a lot in my neighbourhood was once wooded, and it's become an empty lifeless crater going on five years now...

Forest Glen Plaza was probably a lifeless crater for more than 10 years ... Sad
(01-27-2018, 11:09 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Interesting, the parcel is actually on both sides of the tracks:

Why do you think there is any connection between the areas on the two sides of the tracks?

I mean, do you know that they are owned by the same people, for example?

The train has been there for nearly 140 years so I wouldn’t expect there to be common ownership on both sides except by coincidence.
Perhaps, 140 years ago, it was a farm. It got bisected by the railway but remained in one ownership, eventually it fell fallow and trees grew, but the property was never split...
(01-28-2018, 10:52 PM)KevinL Wrote: Perhaps, 140 years ago, it was a farm. It got bisected by the railway but remained in one ownership, eventually it fell fallow and trees grew, but the property was never split...

Theoretically possible, but it’s rather small for a farm. My question is why one would even suspect the two areas to be related in any way. The fact that they add up to approximately a rectangle doesn’t rise above the level of being an interesting geometrical observation. I’m basically saying “cite needed” to the assertion that they form a single parcel.
There seems to be a pretty large development rising on Westwood just off Fischer-Hallman / Glasgow. Anyone know about it?
(01-28-2018, 11:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: My question is why one would even suspect the two areas to be related in any way. The fact that they add up to approximately a rectangle doesn’t rise above the level of being an interesting geometrical observation. I’m basically saying “cite needed” to the assertion that they form a single parcel.

The image shows it - the GIS system (presumably run by the city/region) that Pheidippides used to look it up automatically showed both portions together (one blue highlight line). That means one parcel, one property, two pieces.

(01-28-2018, 11:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 10:52 PM)KevinL Wrote: Perhaps, 140 years ago, it was a farm. It got bisected by the railway but remained in one ownership, eventually it fell fallow and trees grew, but the property was never split...

Theoretically possible, but it’s rather small for a farm. My question is why one would even suspect the two areas to be related in any way. The fact that they add up to approximately a rectangle doesn’t rise above the level of being an interesting geometrical observation. I’m basically saying “cite needed” to the assertion that they form a single parcel.

The citation is the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) database available through the region's GIS portal that says it is one parcel.

Roll Number

Municipality
Waterloo

Realty Tax Class
R

Legal Description
TRACT GERMAN COMPANY PT LOT 11

Area

Category
Land

As with almost every parcel in the region it has been carved up and divided over time. Probably belonged to the Erb or Martin family.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(01-29-2018, 12:02 AM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 11:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Theoretically possible, but it’s rather small for a farm. My question is why one would even suspect the two areas to be related in any way. The fact that they add up to approximately a rectangle doesn’t rise above the level of being an interesting geometrical observation. I’m basically saying “cite needed” to the assertion that they form a single parcel.

The citation is the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) database available through the region's GIS portal that says it is one parcel.

Roll Number

Municipality
Waterloo

Realty Tax Class
R

Legal Description

Area

Category
Land

As with almost every parcel in the region it has been carved up and divided over time. Probably belonged to the Erb or Martin family.

Thanks! That’s really interesting. It probably goes way back in that case. The last remnants of probably an entire German Company lot. I was only looking at the zoning map, which gives no indication of ownership. Will be interested to see if the cleared portion gets severed.
The zone change application page for the new subdivision at Beaver Creek Road and Conservation Drive is now up on the city's website.

http://www.waterloo.ca/en/business/Beave...on-Dr-.asp
(01-28-2018, 11:35 PM)mpd618 Wrote: There seems to be a pretty large development rising on Westwood just off Fischer-Hallman / Glasgow. Anyone know about it?

I believe you are referring to these townhouses: https://countrygreenhomes.com/communitie...wood-mews/
(01-29-2018, 09:12 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 12:02 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The citation is the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) database available through the region's GIS portal that says it is one parcel.

Roll Number

Municipality
Waterloo

Realty Tax Class
R

Legal Description

Area

Category
Land

Thanks! That’s really interesting. It probably goes way back in that case. The last remnants of probably an entire German Company lot. I was only looking at the zoning map, which gives no indication of ownership. Will be interested to see if the cleared portion gets severed.

I think you normally wouldn't need a severance in a situation like this as the parcels are already split by the ROW.
From my limited knowledge of these types of situations, it could be that the railway has an easement through the property (and maybe even ownership to a degree) but the original parcel remains as one piece. If the railway were to ever fall into disuse, the right-of-way would revert back to the owner of the two parcels. It might be a similar situation to a gas line being run through a farm field.

Based on this map from 1805 it is was John Erb's at one point.

This map is higher quality, but doesn't have as many labels.

By the 1880s it may have been part of the Clemmer's.

It seems like the railway went through in 1891.

The zoning map adds to the confusion. The eastern part of the parcel says MR-12, but the western part says I-12.

Lots of small items in the upcoming City of Kitchener committee of adjustment. Not sure they all fit in this thread.

Some of the bigger asks:
A2018-013 - 65, 71 & 79 Madison Avenue South
Permission to construct a four-storey 38-unit multi-residential development...to permit 40 off-street parking spaces (1.05 spaces/per unit) rather than the required 48 off-street parking spaces (1.25 spaces/per unit).

A2018-014 – 223, 229 & 235 Heiman Street
Permission to construct a second multi-residential dwelling on the subject property which currently contains a 3-storey multi-residential dwelling having 23-units, with the proposed dwelling being 6-stories in height having 55-units...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »