Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ayr Commons
Last month a large, 24 hour Foodland (part of the Sobeys chain) opened in Ayr at the new Ayr Commons.   It has a large LCBO and Beer Store inside the store.  

Ayr Commons will also have a Tim Hortons plus one other stand alone business.   Construction has already started.

I'm surprised it took this long for Ayr to get a Tim Hortons and a grocery store for that matter. For a town of it's size and proximity to the 401/97 Cedar Creek industrial area, it will do well.
(04-19-2015, 12:26 PM)The85 Wrote: I'm surprised it took this long for Ayr to get a Tim Hortons and a grocery store for that matter. For a town of it's size and proximity to the 401/97 Cedar Creek industrial area, it will do well.

Actually, Ayr had a Foodland (with Beer Store and LCBO) on Gibson Street but a larger store was needed to meet demand.  Tim Hortons will be new.  And they will do well.  Yesterday the place was packed. 
Was the Foodland originally a Knechtel? I remember seeing that once when I was a kid.
(04-19-2015, 02:11 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Was the Foodland originally a Knechtel? I remember seeing that once when I was a kid.

That was before I lived in this area.  But if there was a Knechtel it wouldn't have been hidden on Gibson St.  It would have been in one of the old building on Northumberland or Stanley Street. 

By the way, I found this in Wikipedia under Sobeys:

Quote:Link

Former grocery banners

• Commisso's Food Markets in Ontario were rebranded as Sobeys and Price Chopper.

• Food City from the Oshawa Group in Ontario were mainly rebranded as Price Chopper.

• Garden Market IGA stores in Western Canada were rebranded as Sobeys.

• Dutch Boy, a chain in the Kitchener-Waterloo area of Ontario, was rebranded as Sobeys.

• Knechtel, a small-market grocery store chain under Oshawa Group, was rebranded as Foodland.

• Lofood, a small discount grocery store, was rebranded as Price Chopper.

• Calbeck's, an independent chain acquired in 1990, was rebranded as Sobeys, Price Chopper and Foodland

(04-19-2015, 02:11 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Was the Foodland originally a Knechtel? I remember seeing that once when I was a kid.

Very likely. The Knechtel name continues, at least in Lion's Head as Foodland - Hellyer's Knechtel Food Market

(I still occasionally stock up on groceries there when staying on that part of the Bruce Peninsula. It's as close as you can get to a Central Meat Market in that part of the world.)

P.S. There's also Knechtels is now independent in Lucknow. At least the owners have a valid claim to the name.

It was indeed a Knechtels during the 90's.

Tim Hortons at the Ayr Commons, on Northumberland Street, is almost ready to open.  In the spring I thought there might be two stand alone buildings but I was wrong.  Both Foodland and Tim Hortons are/will be open 24 hours.  

Knechtel...that brings me back. Now I've remembered IGA and Dutch Boy, the latter of which if my memory serves me right, had a big two floor grocery store back in the day (well, one floor, they had a basement level).
Wow, that's digging deep. The Dutch Boy on Highland in Kitchener may have had a somewhat sketchy lower level. And yes the Knechtels (Foodland) in Ayr used to be on Gibson Street.
(05-23-2017, 09:32 PM)embe Wrote: Wow, that's digging deep.  The Dutch Boy on Highland in Kitchener may have had a somewhat sketchy lower level.  And yes the Knechtels (Foodland) in Ayr used to be on Gibson Street.

I don't think so.  I worked there for a number of years as a student and I have no recollection of any basement.
There was one on Franklin Street near the Highway 8 cut; could that have been the one with the basement?
The Dutch Boy on Margaret Ave (now a Giant Tiger) had a basement. I recall housewares and such being downstairs.

(05-24-2017, 09:27 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 09:32 PM)embe Wrote: Wow, that's digging deep.  The Dutch Boy on Highland in Kitchener may have had a somewhat sketchy lower level.  And yes the Knechtels (Foodland) in Ayr used to be on Gibson Street.

I don't think so.  I worked there for a number of years as a student and I have no recollection of any basement.

I work at the Highland Sobeys as a Night Crew Grocery clerk. There is a basement there but it's not accessible to customers. The door to it is in the stock room area and it's locked. As far as I know no one ever goes down there not even the Managers. 
(05-24-2017, 10:31 AM)kps Wrote: The Dutch Boy on Margaret Ave (now a Giant Tiger) had a basement. I recall housewares and such being downstairs.

Yep, that was the one with the basement level. Toys, housewares, etc were all on the lower level.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »