Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
(09-28-2018, 09:22 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 09:14 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Stanley Park Zehrs was rebuilt with the added parking garage under it in the 90s

Was Highway Market owned by Loblaws?

No, it was independent.

Get the brand right folks, it was HiWay Market. (I can still hear the radio jingle...)
(09-24-2018, 03:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 02:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Sobeys is a titch more upstream than Zehrs, in my opinion, but only just.

I think that really depends on the individual store, there are examples in both directions. The Zehrs at University/Lincoln is certainly not fabulous, but then neither is the Sobeys at Highland/Belmont.

Speaking of Sobeys on Highland/Belmont. The Smoke shop inside the cartroom of the store is closing November 2nd. There moving the lottery centre into the store.
(09-28-2018, 10:56 AM)KevinL Wrote: Get the brand right folks, it was HiWay Market. (I can still hear the radio jingle...)

That might be so, but it's a terrific way to weed out the locals from the non-locals.

I am 99% sure that HiWay Market was way smaller than I remember it as a child. It seemed huge to me, but I am guessing it wasn't that large. I do remember the flat escalator and the grocery clerks taking the carts down to the exit level. Good times.
Here's a blast from the past! I was doing some housecleaning and found some decade-plus old shopping bags...

[Image: 0jlwbYX.jpg]
A few weeks ago, I went to Food Basics at Fisher Hallman and University for the first time since their renovations and was pleasantly surprised to see self checkout kiosks. Seeing as the checkouts were usually understaffed, this is a great improvement.
That's the first I've seen self-checkout at a grocer on the 'discount' side of the spectrum (Walmart excluded). How soon will No Frills or FreshCo follow suit?

(09-29-2018, 06:57 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 10:56 AM)KevinL Wrote: Get the brand right folks, it was HiWay Market. (I can still hear the radio jingle...)

That might be so, but it's a terrific way to weed out the locals from the non-locals.

I am 99% sure that HiWay Market was way smaller than I remember it as a child. It seemed huge to me, but I am guessing it wasn't that large. I do remember the flat escalator and the grocery clerks taking the carts down to the exit level. Good times.

Throw Back Thursday #TBT Article from the WR Record from 2015

https://www.therecord.com/community-stor...ay-market/

Photo from Hiway Market original store 1952 

[Image: iv2XE3c.jpg]

Photo from 1987 just weeks before Hiway Market was closed 

[Image: AGuGhLS.jpg]
Where was this store?
WOW  Good memories.  I remember running the shopping carts down the ramps...that was so much fun !!
(10-17-2018, 07:23 AM)jamincan Wrote: Where was this store?

On Weber St, where Zehrs "HiWay Centre" is today.
(10-17-2018, 08:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 07:23 AM)jamincan Wrote: Where was this store?

On Weber St, where Zehrs "HiWay Centre" is today.

But facing King, to the west, where the highway is now? Searching for the actual address now comes out to the Eskander Auto Sales lot, apparently actually at 2786:

https://goo.gl/maps/6iMhoDyb9ry

Anybody know if it was fully demolished, or does the Zehr’s store and attached strip mall include any element of the HiWay building?
King Street used to run where the expressway(highway 8) is now, that's why there's that little stub of King Street E with the dead-end on the map, and why King Street turns into Weber at that point.

In my mind, the main entrance was on the side facing Weber.  Am I wrong?  We didn't actually go there very often when I was a youngster, as we did not have a car.
(10-17-2018, 03:44 PM)clasher Wrote: King Street used to run where the expressway(highway 8) is now, that's why there's that little stub of King Street E with the dead-end on the map, and why King Street turns into Weber at that point.

This is helpful for orientation, although the old side slightly predates HiWay.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »