Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Stores
(02-02-2018, 04:04 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I get a somewhat uncomfortable whiff of classism that it is the Zehrs and Sobeys banners that get the thumbs up for alcohol sales and not ValuMart or FreshCo. Real Canadian Superstore somewhat contradicts that though.

Do we know that ValuMart and FreshCo have applied? I expect that there are a number of requirements for this, and not every grocery store might want to abide by those. And the space-constrained ValuMart will certainly be aware that they wouldn't be able to match the selection at the nearby LCBO.

My understanding is that Valumarts are typically franchise operations, and I imagine that Loblaw is less interested in pursuing liquor sales in the stores that it doesn't own directly.
(02-02-2018, 09:12 PM)jamincan Wrote: My understanding is that Valumarts are typically franchise operations, and I imagine that Loblaw is less interested in pursuing liquor sales in the stores that it doesn't own directly.

Probably the franchisee would need to apply in that case.
(02-02-2018, 04:04 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I get a somewhat uncomfortable whiff of classism that it is the Zehrs and Sobeys banners that get the thumbs up for alcohol sales and not ValuMart or FreshCo. Real Canadian Superstore somewhat contradicts that though.
Less class-ism and more cost to store.

The new site licences are not free and must be paid to LCBO. They also come with large back end costs.

You need a whole back-end operation such as your own bonded warehousing and distribution systems. Thirdly, merchants wanting to display and sell product in the stores must pay a placement fee (shelf space) that must be paid by each liquor, beer and wine merchant and negotiated with the store warehousing.  

The large merchants like Loblaws, Sobey and Metro have these in place so it is just adding another site. They have been running these in store sites for many years outside of Ontario.
ValuMart and FreshCo are brands of Loblaws and Sobeys, respectively, so that's not the only factor here...
(02-04-2018, 11:35 AM)KevinL Wrote: ValuMart and FreshCo are brands of Loblaws and Sobeys, respectively, so that's not the only factor here...

They are brands but typically franchised.  AGCO requires the licence to be purchased by the owner-operator, who will need to (1) dedicate space for beer/wine, (2) secure the area outside of beer/wine sales hours, (3) undergo background checks, (4) train staff and (5) pay licence fees. All in all, it's not for everybody.

But it's not necessarily a Sobey's or Loblaws corporate decision not to pursue this.
Franchised versus corporate owned does make a big difference. Thanks for that explanation.

Alcohol sales in this province are classist to begin with so it's not surprising that the value stores aren't participating.
/\ How so? Not disagreeing with you but asking what you mean by this.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/beer-wine-ci...ery-stores

In the list there are plenty of FreshCos, Food Basics and nofrills... just not in Waterloo Region.
FreshCo in Collingwood was one of the recent announcements. Interesting given there is a Metro right across the street that already sells beer and wine.
There are a number of locations like that when you look at the map. I suppose as long as it's not too close to a Beer Store or LCBO, the Gov't of Ontario doesn't really care where it goes?
I haven't had the impression that proximity to an LCBO or Beer Store has much to do with which supermarkets get to sell alcohol.

The Superstore at Highland Hills has a beer store across the parking lot. The Sobeys on Columbia is next door to an LCBO. I agree that proximity doesn't seem to have much to do with it.
(02-05-2018, 11:16 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I haven't had the impression that proximity to an LCBO or Beer Store has much to do with which supermarkets get to sell alcohol.

Highland Hills Mall has a large Brewers Retail and they sell beer and wine at The Real Canadian Superstore.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »