Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vivaldi Browser
If there is an interest in this, I read an interesting article on the Ars Technica website. It reported on the development of a new browser. I find Internet Explorer painfully slow and Chrome has been unstable for me as well it allows all kinds of third party apps to install on their own. So I have given up on that. 

I have recently gone back to Firefox however and it seems to be the best of both worlds. 

I have installed the Vivaldi browser and it seems to be pretty slick. Time will tell. I post the link to it here in the event anyone else in interested in this kind of thing.

(03-09-2015, 10:52 AM)Drake Wrote: Chrome has been unstable for me as well it allows all kinds of third party apps to install on their own. So I have given up on that. 

Can you elaborate? I've used Chrome almost since Google introduced it. Occasionally they've put out a release that's been a bit flakey but then, unlike Internet Exploder and sometimes even Firefox, they fix it quite quickly. 

I've never, ever had a third party app install itself in Chrome without my consent. However I've seen many freeware apps that use underhanded techniques to get that "consent" in order to install unrelated bloatware. Java updates are notorious for doing this. uTorrent is currently in hot water with users as well. And then there are non-official sites that wrap bloatware (if not malware) around legitimate freeware, e.g. CNET's download.com. Is it possible you're a victim of any of this?

I'm open to new, better software including browsers. But ISTM Vivaldi has a long way to go before they can offer an attractive alternative to power users of established browsers. For example it currently lacks support for smartphone platforms, synching across homo and hetrogenous computers, a suite of extensions for basic stuff like password management, maintaining privacy, blocking ads, etc.
(03-09-2015, 11:55 AM)ookpik Wrote: Can you elaborate? ...

I've never, ever had a third party app install itself in Chrome without my consent. However I've seen many freeware apps that use underhanded techniques to get that "consent" in order to install unrelated bloatware. Java updates are notorious for doing this. uTorrent is currently in hot water with users as well. And then there are non-official sites that wrap bloatware (if not malware) around legitimate freeware, e.g. CNET's download.com. Is it possible you're a victim of any of this?

Yes I am a victim frequently of java updates, but Chrome specifically allowed silent third party installs that would lead to pop ups galore. I would need to not only disable them from the browser's settings, I would also go into the Windows control panel to see what got installed today and nuke it from there. Your other suggestions are also possibilities however I have stopped using torrents.

I consider myself to be an intermediate user and I am not heading off to weirdo websites. Perhaps I was not fair to blame Chrome for these issues however when I ditched chrome, those problems went with it.