Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rich Uncle Tavern (formerly The Berlin)
It still had banners blocking the window when I went by the other day.

It's open as of today.
Thanks to whoever changed the title of this thread!
It's easy to do if you have the mod superpowers! Smile
Are you wearing a cape???
(06-08-2018, 12:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's open as of today.

Saw a couple of people on the terasse while biking by...
(06-08-2018, 07:16 PM)plam Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 12:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's open as of today.

Saw a couple of people on the terasse while biking by...

Such a Montrealer, spelling notwithstanding!  Wink

(06-08-2018, 08:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-08-2018, 07:16 PM)plam Wrote: Saw a couple of people on the terasse while biking by...

Such a Montrealer, spelling notwithstanding!  Wink

Darn double r's. At least dépanneur only has double n's.

I do really appreciate the terrasses that are popping up around Kitchener. Waterloo has a ways to go to catch up there.
(06-08-2018, 06:51 PM)Spokes Wrote: Are you wearing a cape???

Just the long red-and-blue long underwear!
I can't wait to have some beers at our cinq a sept on the terrasse just as soon as I stop at the guichet to get some cash!
(06-09-2018, 09:45 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I can't wait to have some beers at our cinq a sept on the terrasse just as soon as I stop at the guichet to get some cash!

Hmm, not sure all those words are valid Quebec English. But yes!
(06-09-2018, 09:45 AM)JoeKW Wrote: I can't wait to have some beers at our cinq a sept on the terrasse just as soon as I stop at the guichet to get some cash!

Bien sûre.
"Cinq à sept", for an after work/before dinner get together seems to have caught on in recent years outside Quebec, although I suppose some might find it a bit pretentious. I don't know if there's a good English equivalent, although "Sundowners" has always worked for me. "Happy Hour" seems a bit tacky by comparison. "Cocktail party" doesn't have the same "get together after work" connotation. "Get together after work for drinks and nibblies" works perfectly, but is a bit prosaic.

It's against Ontario law to use the phrase "Happy Hour" or any phrase to suggest that your drinks are cheaper during a certain period. Until fairly recently it was illegal to change prices at all, due to the theory that people drink more quickly when booze is discounted.

https://www.agco.ca/sites/default/files/3099_a.pdf
(06-09-2018, 10:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote: "Cinq à sept", for an after work/before dinner get together seems to have caught on in recent years outside Quebec, although I suppose some might find it a bit pretentious.  I don't know if there's a good English equivalent, although "Sundowners" has always worked for me.  "Happy Hour" seems a bit tacky by comparison.  "Cocktail party" doesn't have the same "get together after work" connotation.  "Get together after work for drinks and nibblies" works perfectly, but is a bit prosaic.

I've been out of the loop for quite some time, but I used to be a regular when it first started at Bauer Kitchen.  Is it still there or elsewhere now?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »