Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rich Uncle Tavern (formerly The Berlin)
We have reservations for the 29th.  Hopefully there won't be too much kitchen chaos  by then...

(12-10-2015, 11:32 PM)jgsz Wrote: We have reservations for the 29th.  Hopefully there won't be too much kitchen chaos  by then...

I suspect that this is one restaurant that will have experienced staff in the kitchen and out front from the moment they open.
At least some of the furniture has arrived -- tables and chairs are now stacked inside. (Not to mention that the beer taps are installed at the bar ...)
So the mystery of the folding tables and stacking chairs was solved today - Berlin is hosting a special event tonight (the place looked beautiful from outside). Hopefully the regular furniture will arrive in coming days.
Glad to hear that it wasn't the permanent furniture! Big Grin
The permanent furniture was taken in to The Berlin this afternoon.
It's set up, at least from the outside it doesn't look like they should have any trouble opening next week now. Smile

(12-17-2015, 07:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's set up, at least from the outside it doesn't look like they should have any trouble opening next week now. Smile

If they do a soft opening in coming days, I know where I'm stopping for lunch!
The tables are set this morning with cutlery and napkins, it looks like they are all ready to open for lunch today.
One more update: they are open! In spite of the rain and little publicity, there is a decent crowd inside for lunch, maybe 2/3 full. I hope to check it out for myself later this week.
Had 8pm sitting tonight and it was packed. Make their own soda in house which led to a very sweet ginger beer, and an even sweeter rum and coke. Good food, good atmosphere, and my favourite sommelier from Langdon Hall. Well worth the wait.
Menu is online now, too (though not the prices):
http://www.theberlinkw.ca/dinner
(12-22-2015, 05:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Menu is online now, too (though not the prices):
http://www.theberlinkw.ca/dinner

When I followed the link, I had prices...

Duh, so they are there. Small grey italics ... but I still should have seen them. Sorry!
(12-22-2015, 05:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Duh, so they are there.  Small grey italics ... but I still should have seen them.  Sorry!

I didn't seem them either when I looked a day or two ago. That tiny grey type is easy to miss.

They also didn't do a good job of proof-reading, e.g. "Buckwheat Spaetzel." (It's spelled spätzle (or spaetzle for the umlaut-challenged.))

P.S. I was looking at the Lunch menu. It's still priceless.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »