Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rich Uncle Tavern (formerly The Berlin)
(05-13-2016, 10:42 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: I've been 4 times now, and each visit has been whelming at least.  By far the best in this area.

That's it!  I was left feeling "whelmed".  Smile

There are some interesting changes at The Berlin.  Their cafe is now open from 7:30 AM to 4 PM Tuesday to Friday.  You can now buy a loaf of their bread to take home from their cafe.

What does all this mean?  I'm not sure but I like the changes.  

If a 'fine dining' restaurant can't make it on its own (and I'm sure if that's the case...) why not branch out?  Why not use the space from early morning on?  Cafe in the morning and fine dining in the evening may be what's needed downtown.

By the way, I also like their patio on King.
Kitchener restaurant The Berlin up for enRoute's best new restaurant in Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitch...-1.3713050
Any must-have dishes at The Berlin?
Ugh, I was at work, and a coworker of mine mentioned The Berlin, and continued with a description of it being the one with "the drunk" for a chef. When pressed, he clarified with "high functioning drunk".

Ugh..........
Let us not belittle addiction issues Sad
(08-12-2016, 11:43 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Any must-have dishes at The Berlin?

My understanding is that the menu changes daily, so I'm not sure that there's going to be a good answer. But I think the signature techniques involve the live-fire grill, so maybe look for dishes with that touch.
(08-12-2016, 11:56 PM)Markster Wrote: Ugh, I was at work, and a coworker of mine mentioned The Berlin, and continued with a description of it being the one with "the drunk" for a chef. When pressed, he clarified with "high functioning drunk".

Ugh..........

In recovery, n'est-ce pas?  Your co-worker sounds like a dick.

(08-12-2016, 11:43 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Any must-have dishes at The Berlin?

mpd618 is correct that the menu changes daily, but there are a few recurring themes.

They do a very good job with fish, I was quite impressed with mine and it's been mentioned in a few reviews as a standout dish.

I've been disappointed by their poultry. While good, both the chicken and duck weren't quite at the level I'd expect for the price point (good flavour, but chewy/tough).

Their noodles are impressive. I've had them twice, and both times they've had a satisfying flavour I never thought possible from noodles. They pair them especially well with smoked mushrooms.

There's a component done with their signature live fire grill in almost every dish, so you won't have to look hard to find that.
Great tips, thanks guys
(08-13-2016, 12:45 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-12-2016, 11:56 PM)Markster Wrote: Ugh, I was at work, and a coworker of mine mentioned The Berlin, and continued with a description of it being the one with "the drunk" for a chef. When pressed, he clarified with "high functioning drunk".

Ugh..........

In recovery, n'est-ce pas?  Your co-worker sounds like a dick.

We all have battles. Yes, the head chef has had his fair share of problems. But he is amazing. My brother who was sous chef at King St. Trio, has moved to the Berlin as a support role just to learn from him. But my brother is pumped that he will managing the food at Graffiti, set to open at Catalyst-137 in October. It will be a sweet restaurant, although he is pretty excited about the microbrewery. Smile

Here's the article.

Graffiti to Open Fall 2018
(02-04-2018, 02:57 PM)CTGal1011 Wrote:
(08-13-2016, 12:45 PM)panamaniac Wrote: In recovery, n'est-ce pas?  Your co-worker sounds like a dick.

We all have battles.  Yes, the head chef has had his fair share of problems. But he is amazing.  My brother who was sous chef at King St. Trio, has moved to the Berlin as a support role just to learn from him.  But my brother is pumped that he will managing the food at Graffiti, set to open at Catalyst-137 in October. It will be a sweet restaurant, although he is pretty excited about the microbrewery. Smile

Here's the article.  

Graffiti to Open Fall 2018

Jonathan Gushue is amazing.  And anyone who blushes when they find out a chef is imbibing too much should read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.  Anyway,  Fogo Island Inn's gain is our loss.  I will him well.
The Berlin is becoming The Rich Uncle Tavern (same ownership)

http://www.richuncletavern.ca/
http://d19cgyi5s8w5eh.cloudfront.net/eml...X2BDsg?t=1
"(A) crafted cocktail in the upstairs study..." A new "grown up" place for a drink Downtown? (isn't there an old thread for that?)

It seems that the demand for upscale food in DTK is not that high. This leaves the choice of … what? Is there actually another upscale restaurant in DTK?
Has the Rich Uncle Tavern now opened? I'm curious to hear reports, especially about the upstairs lounge.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »