Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midtown Lofts | ?m | 6 fl | Complete
Is that just an assumption? If so, I think it's a safe one, but I don't think the developer stated it anywhere in such terms (not that he's required to justify his decisions to WRC or anyone else).

Yes, it's an assumption, no insider knowledge here. But a developer will always try to optimize the mix of units (bedrooms, dens, retail, parking) so as to maximize demand unless constraints (legal, regulatory, environmental etc) dictate otherwise.
It also changes the insurance aspects of a building like that. Much cheaper for strictly residential than mixed.
I think this was also the case for 100 Victoria. I do wish there was some stick that could be used to make this more difficult for developers. There might be more demand for residential, but it makes for a worse place for everyone.
It's unfortunate that it's missing ground floor retail, but things can change.
With permissive zoning, I could see the ground floor converting into professional offices to start.

Large swaths of older cities (i.e. Toronto) are composed of street retail that has been built into former single-use housing.
Until we get more permissive zoning, it's still possible, but if I understand correctly, the entire ground floor would have to be made commercial, not just part.

If that is relaxed, there's still the fact of the challenges of a multi-use building for the condo board to run. I can see reasons why a condo board representing 130 or so residential unit owners might want to convert some to commercial, and I can see definite reasons why the owners of those specific units would want to. But it adds complexity, and there's a lot of reasons why many of the unit owners might object.

But, anyway, you're right both when you say that it's unfortunate, but also that "things can change." Maybe one day.
I can imagine that ground or second floor commercial can be a tough sell (didn't one of the Sage buildings reduce the planned commercial on one of its buildings?) There are always people who need to live some where, but not always the same for commercial. Witness the Uptown Waterloo changeover from retail to food/bars. On the other hand, I could see a market for small start-up office commercial for groups that graduate from an incubator but who aren't yet ready for a huge space.

I heard from someone that the building technique they are using to construct this is the first time it has been implemented in Canada. Might explain why floor 1 to 2 took a very long time. They seem to flying now but there is no way they are getting occupancy by fall.
Do you happen to know what technique in particular was unique? I have to admit I haven't looked at it that closely when I pass by.
It didn't seem terribly unique to me?
As far as I can tell, it's basically just 6 storey metal stud framework all the way up.
This is coming along. Slowly, but the cladding is almost done.

Here's a snap of what it looks like from Mount Hope Cemetery. It will be only barely visible by June, but you can see that is ruining our winter skyline! (Just in case: that was sarcasm.)

I think it looks good, generally. But I happened to walk along King from Uptown to Downtown today, and next to Red and Cortes, it's not fantastic. Still, a nice addition, and the scale is ideal for this part of town.
(01-27-2018, 04:09 PM)MidTowner Wrote: This is coming along. Slowly, but the cladding is almost done.

Here's a snap of what it looks like from Mount Hope Cemetery. It will be only barely visible by June, but you can see that is ruining our winter skyline! (Just in case: that was sarcasm.)

I think it looks good, generally. But I happened to walk along King from Uptown to Downtown today, and next to Red and Cortes, it's not fantastic. Still, a nice addition, and the scale is ideal for this part of town.

My dental office is right across the street from the condo. It's come around quite nicely. Much better than what used to be there..
That's true. Although, at the risk of being extremely repetitive, at least there was retail there before.

I see to recall that they were trying some new building technique on this site.

Is that what is causing it to take so long or are there other things contributing?

I seem to recall that site was cleared in mid-2015, they had a ground breaking in November of 2015, and had advertised February 2017 occupancy dates at one point.

2.25+ years and counting seems like a long time for a 6 story structure (although I am sure deliveries were a problem during Ion construction).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
It's been long delayed for sure. I recall the same as you, that there was some new building technique (someone even said "first in Canada," I think). I'm no expert, so it doesn't look like anything out-of-the-ordinary to me.

If occupancy is May, that would be a sixteen month delay, which sure does seem like a long time for a six storey building.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »