Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacant properties
The vacant property near Bridgeport and Weber has recently sold.
The property at the corner of Columbia St E and Marsland Dr was having some sample (hydrological or geological?) drilling done the other day.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-22-2015, 11:50 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Anybody know what's up with the vacant asphalt property on Charles near Borden? The one in between mister transmission and the kwartzlab. With the Ion station going in literally right there, I would assume it's ripe for development, but haven't heard anything about it!

I was wondering that myself just the other day. IIRC, that used to be that 2-floor Canadian Tire. Tim Hortons is on part of that property.
Perhaps it's some sort of environment disaster underneath. But clean it up, excellent spot for high-density residential or large office building, perhaps one for "start-ups". As you pointed out -- right by a LRT stop.
I believe that GtwoK was referring to the lot across the street, between Kwartlab and the Rito Mr. Transmission. I've often wondered the same thing. The land you are referring to changed hands a few years ago and, at least in theory, is available for development.
That entire neighbourhood looks like it was bombed out not long ago... and it's so close to DTK. It's a blight in the urban patchwork and I cannot wait until it is developed. It's equivalent in UTW was the empty Seagram lands, Barrel Yards and 144 Industrial lands a decade and a half ago.
(11-04-2016, 08:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I believe that GtwoK was referring to the lot across the street, between Kwartlab and the Rito Mr. Transmission.  I've often wondered the same thing.  The land you are referring to changed hands a few years ago and, at least in theory, is available for development.

So was I. Canadian Tire used to be there years ago (20+). We are talking about the property between that small apartment on Stirling and Tim Hortons. (across from Rito's).
(11-04-2016, 09:44 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: That entire neighbourhood looks like it was bombed out not long ago... and it's so close to DTK. It's a blight in the urban patchwork and I cannot wait until it is developed. It's equivalent in UTW was the empty Seagram lands, Barrel Yards and 144 Industrial lands a decade and a half ago.

It's not really "the entire neighbourhood" in my opinion.  Charles, between Stirling and Borden has empty land but is not terrible.  Between Borden and Ottawa is worse, with some boarded-up buildings.  And, yes, same stretch on King is run down as well.

But if you move a block away from either Charles or King, you will see that the rest of the neighbourhood looks much better.
592 Belmont Ave W, the former Nu-Look car wash site, has had some earth moved around on the site with some heavy equipment. It looks like at least one berm has been built toward the back of the site near the trail.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
A vacant lot at the corner of Lexington and Bridge may see two houses constructed after the initial stacked townhouse proposal was not approved.

http://m.waterloochronicle.ca/news-story...politician
Wasn't there also a proposal to build three houses on the site? It seems like residents of the area would prefer it just stay an empty lot.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »