Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
Disappointing, but not surprising

Yes but they are also building a dedicated sales office on site right now. 

I’m sure the plot of land is large enough for development to start without impacting the tenants of the offices. They could build all along the north west and north east corners before needing the office space to be vacant.
The north-east corner is slated to be the rental tower, no?
(05-23-2019, 12:22 AM)taylortbb Wrote: The fact it's 1-3 year terms I think suggests Van Mar is planning to wait out the current downtown building boom before trying to sell units here, but hasn't abandoned plans entirely.

I'm not sure there is a bubble to pop anytime soon. The development charge exemption is over, but we're still seeing new projects show up now, and there are many others in the pipeline. But, yes, likely the boom will subside somewhat.
(05-24-2019, 05:53 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The north-east corner is slated to be the rental tower, no?

I don't think we can make any assumptions about anything with regards to design and towers anymore can we
(05-28-2019, 07:03 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 05:53 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The north-east corner is slated to be the rental tower, no?

I don't think we can make any assumptions about anything with regards to design and towers anymore can we

That's true.  I don't think I've seen anything to indicate how different the final project will be from what had been proposed.
I'm personally expecting zero similarities

(05-24-2019, 03:27 PM)PassTheBruce Wrote: Yes but they are also building a dedicated sales office on site right now. 

I’m sure the plot of land is large enough for development to start without impacting the tenants of the offices. They could build all along the north west and north east corners before needing the office space to be vacant.

Apparently their plan is to start pre-selling this fall, with a construction start (for the first tower) next spring. Likely the entire project will take 10+ years.
(05-28-2019, 03:25 PM)Spokes Wrote: I'm personally expecting zero similarities

There may be some, at least when speaking of the design. It's not at all cheap either financially nor time wise to continually have a team of architects/drafters redesign a building. I could see the project itself changing, as in, how many towers, their height, placement etc more than the design of any planned towers. Although given the length of time this is going to take, who knows...some drastic aesthetic changes may end up happening.
Is this render new ? 

[Image: 607-641-King-7-23-02-Kirkor.jpg]

https://www.dhrendering.com/high-rise/#p...y_1%5D/15/
Looks new to me !!!
That render is from late 2018, so it's not that new. I have no word on whether or not Kirkor has been brought on to work with Zerh or not (DoHere Rendering studios does a lot of renders for them) or if Humphrey & Partners Architects is still working on this, as that is who Zehr group had hired for the previous designs. Don't get your hopes up that this will what you see in this image is what will be constructed.
We had better not get that blank streetwall at the bottom left. Bleah.

(06-12-2019, 05:27 PM)KevinL Wrote: We had better not get that blank streetwall at the bottom left. Bleah.

I don't see why they couldn't add one more level of retail behind that wall, with windows and an entrance onto King St. You could open a pub or something there … "Under GO", anyone? Smile
(06-12-2019, 05:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 05:27 PM)KevinL Wrote: We had better not get that blank streetwall at the bottom left. Bleah.

I don't see why they couldn't add one more level of retail behind that wall, with windows and an entrance onto King St. You could open a pub or something there … "Under GO", anyone? Smile

Ugly. I have to admit I didn’t even realize it until it was pointed out here — I perceived it as a flat or gently stepped area in front of the building. I agree, the building should appear to start one floor lower, with as much engagement with the sidewalk as possible. While we’re at it, it should also be possible to get under the train bridge from that lower level without getting rained on. From there, I believe links up to the train platforms are planned. This would mean that people in the development could get to and from their train while staying dry, assuming the train station is built properly, with a roof over the platform area.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »