Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
Not information technology haha...although perhaps the office building will hpuse software/IT companies.

I mean 'It' like the cool/happening place to be in Kitchener

(01-11-2019, 10:56 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Perhaps a bit of a consolation prize. From what I have heard, at least 1 building (of no less than 4!) will be made-for-rent. Zehr might get kicked back the equivalent of 1 month for every lease signed (usually the going rate) - chump change obviously. But more so involved to keep their name in it/have name published in the plethora of news articles/coverage that will be coming in the next few years and beyond. 

Condo buildings also require property management, as would the commercial aspects of the buildings.
True true.
(01-06-2019, 08:33 AM)Canard Wrote: When do we expect more details about "Station Park" to be released?  Specifically, what it will look like, and how tall?

Apparently the tower layout is not changing substantially. Ground level is changed, and the rental tower will change to condos. I am told to expect awesome things from the common areas, inside and outside.

I have not actually seen anything yet, though. Smile
(02-10-2019, 12:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 08:33 AM)Canard Wrote: When do we expect more details about "Station Park" to be released?  Specifically, what it will look like, and how tall?

Apparently the tower layout is not changing substantially. Ground level is changed, and the rental tower will change to condos. I am told to expect awesome things from the common areas, inside and outside.

Are the height of the towers changing?, hopefully higher!  Thank you.
(02-10-2019, 12:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Sadface.

We need more rentals (affordable rentals especially) but rentals of all kinds.

I'm sure many will point out that many condos will be turned into rentals, but renting from a condo owner is far more inconsistent and unreliable than from a dedicated rental building, you can't really make it your home.
(02-10-2019, 02:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 12:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Apparently the tower layout is not changing substantially. Ground level is changed, and the rental tower will change to condos. I am told to expect awesome things from the common areas, inside and outside.

Sadface.

I'm sure many will point out that many condos will be turned into rentals, but renting from a condo owner is far more inconsistent and unreliable than from a dedicated rental building, you can't really make it your home.

I do agree. Fortunately there are now a number of rental buildings being constructed/planned, but another higher-end rental building (apart from Arrow 2) would have been good.

(02-10-2019, 02:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 12:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Apparently the tower layout is not changing substantially. Ground level is changed, and the rental tower will change to condos. I am told to expect awesome things from the common areas, inside and outside.

Sadface.

This.

The rental market in KW is slim, although like others have said, growing, but still not robust at all.

Curious to hear more details about the ground level changes.  That was always going to make or break this project IMO
Unless there’s some public component to Station Park that has not been announced, I’d be hard-pressed to think what could be particularly exciting or awesome about the ground floor spaces. I’d foresee developer-driven commercial space with a semi-public component. So, a new Starbucks with some outdoor seating but no City of Kitchener museum or chamber music hall. Maybe I’ll feel less cynical after my morning coffee ....
Aw jeez. I for one was excited about something along the lines of a new Starbucks with some outdoor seating. Now "City of Kitchener museum" is going to be in my head, perniciously forming an anchor against which the eventual reality will be compared. Thanks a lot!

In seriousness, the street life along this stretch of King is not great, so anything will be welcome as long as it has reasonably good interaction with King.
(02-11-2019, 09:25 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Unless there’s some public component to Station Park that has not been announced, I’d be hard-pressed to think what could be particularly exciting or awesome about the ground floor spaces.  I’d foresee developer-driven commercial space with a semi-public component. So, a new Starbucks with some outdoor seating but no City of Kitchener museum or chamber music hall.  Maybe I’ll feel less cynical after my morning coffee ....

If what I heard becomes reality, your cynicism will have been unwarranted! Wink
(02-12-2019, 10:00 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 09:25 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Unless there’s some public component to Station Park that has not been announced, I’d be hard-pressed to think what could be particularly exciting or awesome about the ground floor spaces.  I’d foresee developer-driven commercial space with a semi-public component. So, a new Starbucks with some outdoor seating but no City of Kitchener museum or chamber music hall.  Maybe I’ll feel less cynical after my morning coffee ....

One lives in hope ...
(02-12-2019, 10:00 AM)tomh009 Wrote:

And you cannot tell us what you heard why?

Food hall? Live music venues? A department store? Let the speculation re anticipated awesomeness begin! Smile
(02-12-2019, 08:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Food hall?  Live music venues?  A department store?  Let the speculation re anticipated awesomeness begin!  Smile

Much more interesting this way! Big Grin

Seriously, I was very happy to learn that design work was actively going on, and that VanMar was making it nicer, not cheaper. I only got some sketchy details on the public areas -- and I can't reveal them. Either I'll take away the thunder -- or they change the plans and we get excited all for nothing! Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »