Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
Looking at the projects done by VanMar makes me really nervous about this project now

http://vanmarconstructors.com/projects/

Doubt were gonna get anything half respectable from these guys. Damn....

(12-23-2018, 04:44 AM)Archetype Wrote: Looking at the projects done by VanMar makes me really nervous about this project now

They are doing Caroline SPR (formerly 155 Uptown) so they do have a bit of local experience now.
(12-23-2018, 04:44 AM)Archetype Wrote: Looking at the projects done by VanMar makes me really nervous about this project now

Perhaps they (city) want something smaller so they can keep the helipad where it is. Though they did have a few larger projects. Hopefully something good comes up.

Van Mar: A company that appears to have no future visioning ... yet in 2019 Zehrs is just cutting and running
It may well have been too big a project for Zehr to tackle on their own. It was originally a partnership with Momentum, but it seems that partnership somehow transferred to 100 Victoria, leaving Zehr (the owner of the property) on their own for SIXO.
This quote from the Kitchener Post article dampens my optimism for the project :

“We recognize the community is very sensitive to the development because of its scale and we want to make sure we remain sensitive to those concerns,” he added.
Does this mean it is a total blank slate? Back to the drawing board? All of the previous concept artwork is null?

I know there has been a recent surge in development, unprecedented in the history of DTK, but as I was entering downtown Toronto last night, marvelling at yet 5+ new high rise condos going up (40+ stories) that weren't there the last time I strolled through, I thought man we are slow in making decisions in KW aren't we ha.
Toronto is a wee bit larger than Kitchener, though, so the sheer number of new buildings is bound to be higher. In the last 12 months, we have started construction on 100 Victoria, Charlie West, DTK, Arrow 2 and Barra, if I have my dates correct. Not 40+ stories, but there is no doubt that the activity level is high.
(01-05-2019, 12:02 PM)Momo26 Wrote: I know there has been a recent surge in development, unprecedented in the history of DTK, but as I was entering downtown Toronto last night, marvelling at yet 5+ new high rise condos going up (40+ stories) that weren't there the last time I strolled through, I thought man we are slow in making decisions in KW aren't we ha.

Compared to Ottawa, I find that K-W moves at the speed of light.  Think decades, rather than years.
Oh ouch @ Ottawa! Been seeing the Ottawa name pop up on top 10 places for real estate investment in the past while. I don't know anything about the city and properties there though. Also heard whispers that London Ontario will be the next big investment place and another friend telling me Nova Scotia (Halifax?) !
(01-06-2019, 01:56 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Oh ouch @ Ottawa! Been seeing the Ottawa name pop up on top 10 places for real estate investment in the past while. I don't know anything about the city and properties there though. Also heard whispers that London Ontario will be the next big investment place and another friend telling me Nova Scotia (Halifax?) !

Wouldn't be surprised for Halifax. London, that's a wild card. They're close to nothing, basically.

Halifax has the advantage of being on the sea. Close enough to major centre's in the north-eastern USA, and from this token, no real competition from other cities. London is further away from major centres than Windsor, Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, and of course, the GTA and Niagara Region.

Also negative about London; no real highways through the city, and not much for public transportation. Not that Halifax is much better, but they're by the sea, by the beautiful sea.
When do we expect more details about "Station Park" to be released? Specifically, what it will look like, and how tall?

The developer stated that they are planning to release project details this spring.
(01-05-2019, 01:09 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-05-2019, 12:02 PM)Momo26 Wrote: I know there has been a recent surge in development, unprecedented in the history of DTK, but as I was entering downtown Toronto last night, marvelling at yet 5+ new high rise condos going up (40+ stories) that weren't there the last time I strolled through, I thought man we are slow in making decisions in KW aren't we ha.

Compared to Ottawa, I find that K-W moves at the speed of light.  Think decades, rather than years.

So so so true.  Ottawa is very slow.

I would guess on a per capita scale we move fairly quickly
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »