Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
Yup that’s been bothering me... apparently they’re doing exterior paneling checks over the next few weeks, so hopefully they fix it up then.

Good eye !!!!
Drove up Joseph across the train tracks from this today and they’ve already got a bit of the concrete wall adjacent to the tracks up.[Image: VRoUH6W.jpeg]
[Image: xawCY9r.jpeg]
Wonder why they are building the forms already? Don't they have like 2 or 3 floors to go for the parking podium?
I believe right now they’re at ground level so the front portion of the building outline in this photo would be lobby/townhouse units, while the back portion along the tracks is where the parking podium will be. These are from original plans which have since slightly changed, but should be a similar idea:

[Image: 3yURMP0.png][Image: 0yV6QnE.png][Image: 4LF4QSp.jpeg]
(02-17-2024, 07:48 AM)Square Wrote: Wonder why they are building the forms already?  Don't they have like 2 or 3 floors to go for the parking podium?

Also out of curiosity, I assume you’re referring to the pieces on the bottom right they’re assembling?
What are these used for?

(02-17-2024, 01:18 PM)CP42 Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 07:48 AM)Square Wrote: Wonder why they are building the forms already?  Don't they have like 2 or 3 floors to go for the parking podium?

Also out of curiosity, I assume you’re referring to the pieces on the bottom right they’re assembling?
What are these used for?

Those look to me like the bottoms of the forms for the next level. Wooden (I'm guessing actually MDF but would love to be corrected) panels lying on aluminum beams resting on vertical support brackets. Then they will add more on top if there are any areas that should be holes in the floor, or where the floor should be thinner, and they will add vertical surfaces around the outside to form the edges of the floor plate.

Next (if I’m right) they’ll place rebar on the forms on brackets to hold them at the right height, wire them together to keep them in place during pouring, and finally pour concrete.
(02-17-2024, 01:18 PM)CP42 Wrote:

What are these used for?

Those pieces they're assembling are often called fly forms or table forms. I don't know why they're building them now considering the podium still has to be built, podiums generally have abnormal floor plates because of parking ramps etc. That's why we're only just seeing them at TEK Tower. Once the tower gets to a repeated floor plate they'll typically start using them since it saves on having to build the form multiple times, you just pull it out and then lift it to the next floor and you can start rebar.
This is going to be the 3rd tallest tower in Kitchener after TEK tops out, and after DTK. This is 115m tall
(02-17-2024, 06:54 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 01:18 PM)CP42 Wrote: Also out of curiosity, I assume you’re referring to the pieces on the bottom right they’re assembling?
What are these used for?

Those pieces they're assembling are often called fly forms or table forms. I don't know why they're building them now considering the podium still has to be built, podiums generally have abnormal floor plates because of parking ramps etc. That's why we're only just seeing them at TEK Tower. Once the tower gets to a repeated floor plate they'll typically start using them since it saves on having to build the form multiple times, you just pull it out and then lift it to the next floor and you can start rebar.

Thank you for the replies. I wonder if they're going to work more on the tower portion and take their time with the podium.
Smaller crane is coming down today
[Image: NbEhyrC.jpeg][Image: 0oDTDvW.jpeg]

(02-17-2024, 08:19 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: This is going to be the 3rd tallest tower in Kitchener after TEK tops out, and after DTK. This is 115m tall

Plus I assume around 6-10m of topographic advantage at least in terms of prominence at the top as well? I don't know what the actual elevation difference is.
(03-14-2024, 09:34 AM)cherrypark Wrote:
(02-17-2024, 08:19 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: This is going to be the 3rd tallest tower in Kitchener after TEK tops out, and after DTK. This is 115m tall

Plus I assume around 6-10m of topographic advantage at least in terms of prominence at the top as well? I don't know what the actual elevation difference is.

Duke Tower is on the highest elevation of those 3 projects with TEK at the lowest. Based on the elevations for TEK its ground elevation is 329.3m, Station Park T3 is at 339.5m, I don't have the elevations for Duke tower anymore but from looking at a rough topographical map it's roughly 339m so Duke Tower will appear 16m taller when looking at it from Station Park, which is the same as the elevation difference, meanwhile TEK will look 10m shorter because of the elevation difference, so it would appear to be only 5m taller than Duke Tower, even though it is truly 15m taller.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »