Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
Are they actually planning to build anytime soon? It just seems like they're moving dirt...extremely slowly. Which is odd because they have (or had?) a lot of equipment on the site that must be costing a lot of money.

Some time ago I was up north in the Yukon, working on a small office building for an exploratory mining company. They let me come out and check out their land parcels and such since I have a big interest in mining, geology, minerals etc. It was super small scale work since they were mostly drilling and stuff, but they had similar equipment to clear the forest, permafrost and rock: couple excavators, articulated dump truck, bulldozers. They would have had this entire building site cleared months ago and probably have it done in 48 hours. I have no idea who the heck Auburn hires but they're sure slow.

I think any developement is still years away. They aren't even working on renovating the buildings still on site, let alone building any new ones.
(04-29-2024, 02:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: Are they actually planning to build anytime soon? It just seems like they're moving dirt...extremely slowly. Which is odd because they have (or had?) a lot of equipment on the site that must be costing a lot of money.

Some time ago I was up north in the Yukon, working on a small office building for an exploratory mining company. They let me come out and check out their land parcels and such since I have a big interest in mining, geology, minerals etc. It was super small scale work since they were mostly drilling and stuff, but they had similar equipment to clear the forest, permafrost and rock: couple excavators, articulated dump truck, bulldozers. They would have had this entire building site cleared months ago and probably have it done in 48 hours. I have no idea who the heck Auburn hires but they're sure slow.

According to Page 51 of my link, Building A should start this year.

https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...Slides.pdf
(04-29-2024, 02:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: Are they actually planning to build anytime soon? It just seems like they're moving dirt...extremely slowly. Which is odd because they have (or had?) a lot of equipment on the site that must be costing a lot of money.

They applied for permits for the first 3 buildings (foundation, shoring and balance of construction) earlier this year. 

Permit 24-101142 is for shoring for the 3 buildings (application).

Permit 24-102756 is for foundations for the 3 buildings (resubmission).

Permits 24-109424, 24-109441 and 109442 are for balance of construction for the 3 buildings (application).

They should get issuance of some of these permits soon which would allow for some construction to start.
(04-29-2024, 05:05 PM)Square Wrote:

According to Page 51 of my link, Building A should start this year.

That would be the existing warehouse at Courtand and Borden that's to become a "maker space"?
(04-29-2024, 03:04 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I think any developement is still years away.  They aren't even working on renovating the buildings still on site, let alone building any new ones.

According to the presentation at the last public meeting in 2022, the renovation of the existing buildings were scheduled for later phases after the building of the first building in the block in the front centre of the site along Courtland. See the Preliminary Construction Phasing slide near the end of the Aug. 2nd 2022 public meeting slides (pdf). Construction was planned to start this year.
I didn't realize that they were intending for the entire development to be rentals! From the neighbourhood meeting notes:
  • PURPOSE-BUILT RENTAL HOUSING – all units at the Metz will be purpose-built rental dwellings (2,436 units)
  • Includes 125 affordable units
  • Includes 75 to 100 3-bedroom units (4% of total units)

I can't tell from the drawings if they intend to surface part of the creek that runs under the proposed parkspace, but I hope they do. It would fit nicely with the creek recovery work that the city is doing right now, particularly in that area, and it would be a nice way to elevate their park experience.

(04-29-2024, 06:10 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 05:05 PM)Square Wrote: According to Page 51 of my link, Building A should start this year.

That would be the existing warehouse at Courtand and Borden that's to become a "maker space"?

No, the first midrise building, near the Courtland/Kent intersection.
(04-30-2024, 10:01 AM)SF22 Wrote: I didn't realize that they were intending for the entire development to be rentals! From the neighbourhood meeting notes:
  • PURPOSE-BUILT RENTAL HOUSING – all units at the Metz will be purpose-built rental dwellings (2,436 units)
  • Includes 125 affordable units
  • Includes 75 to 100 3-bedroom units (4% of total units)

Not surprising--Auburn is in the rental business, not in the condo development business.
They excavated two holes at the Vernon Ave end of the site.     
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »