Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
I realize there has been some grumbling about how the IHT could be better cambered and this would reduce ponding and thus icing.  And this is true, it could be better.

But upon reviewing my old attachments, I also realize it could be much worse, and it has been improved immensely.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3533]

Get your canoe out!
(03-12-2019, 01:23 PM)KevinL Wrote: A relatively small connection, but one that was promised in earlier diagrams - a trail from the south corner of Barwood up the hill to the main McLennan park facilities has just started work. Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4190584,...a=!3m1!1e3

Got a closer look today, and there's more to the work than I thought. Looks like underground infrastructure is being worked on too.

[Image: Vr5F5tT.jpg]

[Image: 9fEiEvD.jpg]
Excitingly, it looks like the planned trail on Homer-Watson will get crossride-ish things at least some major intersections: https://i.ibb.co/hHd9wRm/image.png
Nice!
I was cycling along Courtland and noticed that they are rebuilding and extending the MUT from Mill St. to Hayward.

(05-02-2019, 08:29 PM)Acitta Wrote: I was cycling along Courtland and noticed that they are rebuilding and extending the MUT from Mill St. to Hayward.

That's great news.  Still frustrating though, that's another piece of infrastructure that was removed for YEARS without any consideration of a replacement.  My partner was hit by a car while taking another route to work as a result of that work.
The trail from Grenville to Ottawa/Mill finally has railings along the retaining wall. A bit more fence and it'll be complete.
(05-02-2019, 08:23 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The very long term closed section of the IHT has some progress...it....isn't....good.

This isn't a final design, so it's possible it may be improved...I'm hoping they build a nice straight non-retarded MUT to the left of the fence--I would still question the skills of whatever person designed the sidewalk as is--I see no situation, where it is a well designed sidewalk.

I don't think it will change. It's actually really good design for its objective, its objective just isn't transportation. The objective is to create amenity space for the residents, and minimize the number of outsiders using the space. Even the originally design when the city approved the trail was very clearly not straight, and full of benches and fountains that were sold as "beautifying" the space.

It was very clear from the beginning it was designed by someone who views a trail as only for a recreational walk, and not for any sort of useful transportation/commuting.
Can you imagine what the former's for the concrete were thinking ? Worker "Boss, did you see the drawings, is this what they really want" Boss "yes, we checked with them, then asked them again, and each time they said it is correct" Worker "Boss, how do these guys get these jobs" Boss" Nepotism" Worker "Boss, what does that mean" Boss " Listen son, just shut up and frame the damn thing, I don't have all day to teach you this stuff, ask your mother when we get home."
(05-02-2019, 08:23 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The very long term closed section of the IHT has some progress...it....isn't....good.

This isn't a final design, so it's possible it may be improved...I'm hoping they build a nice straight non-retarded MUT to the left of the fence--I would still question the skills of whatever person designed the sidewalk as is--I see no situation, where it is a well designed sidewalk.

That little jog in the path....is it going around something?

Did people actually think that this was intended to be the trail? It was pretty obvious to me that this would be some kind of sitting garden with benches, gardens and trees, with the actual trail built beside this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »