Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
Is this for the connection of the Balzer Creek Trail between Bleams and Block Line to the Schneider Creek Trail?

No, looks like they're formalizing a trail alongside Homer Watson and want the creek crossings to be on separate bridges from the road.
I don't understand, is there a map somewhere?
(10-06-2018, 05:59 PM)Canard Wrote: I don't understand, is there a map somewhere?

I think there were maps in the council docs but I can't find them right now.  But no map is really nrcessary, this is a simple project--a MUT that will follow Homer-Watson from connestoga college up to Ottawa, the same as any roadway MUT in the region (in place of a sidewalk except there is currently no sidewalk).  It will be on the east side of Homer Watson.  The bridges are required because Homer Watson crosses several creeks and the road bridges are not wide enough to fit the trail so separate parallel bridges will be used for the trail .
This will be a big help in particular for the lower of the Schneider Creek crossings, near Doon South Drive - it will give much easier access to the natural area on the north side of the creek from the parking area there.
A MUT all the way from Conestoga College to Ottawa is huge!! I didn’t realize this was so long. That is a massive project.
(10-08-2018, 08:16 AM)Canard Wrote: A MUT all the way from Conestoga College to Ottawa is huge!! I didn’t realize this was so long. That is a massive project.

Indeed, I'm pretty excited.  I think it is two projects, which will end up over two years.  If I recall correctly, the first phase will go to Manitou.

That's a lot of retaining brick!
Given what is in that gap, I think it's safe to say they're waiting on railway approvals.
The last I heard from city staff was October 31st as a final completion date for the Victoria Park work, but he couldn't say if that included the crossing or not.
I didn't take pictures of it, but today on a ride I noticed the MUT on Lackner now goes all the way to Ottawa street, looks like it's all paved and there is still a bit of filling to do on the boulevards. Like a chump I was the bike lanes on the road...

Also at the end of the same ride I used the new curb cut at Strange and the IHT. It's a shame they didn't take the time to rig up the saw to put a bevel on the cut, hopefully it's temporary and they'll redo it with a smooth transition to the road... the nicest curb cut in the city is just down the street on the west side at the trail that goes to Sobeys, it's a thing of beauty.
I think John, south side, Spur Line Trail, is the nicest curb experience for bikes.

They did a pretty nice job of the new curb cuts at Queen and the IHT.

Shows that even when cutting they can do a good job of making it nearly flush...just a matter of putting in the effort (I am sure it is more work).
Looks like the IHT to hub trail is getting some interim solutions while some property issues are getting straightened out.

Sharrows will be installed on Waverly Road, and a widening of the sidewalk and installation of sharrows on Joseph Street to connect to Victoria Street. Trail will be 2.65m wide under the Park St bridge.

"Geoff Keyworth, stated that staff are looking at the possibility of creating a multi-use trail between Joseph Street and King Street on Victoria Street; but it would be an odd design. He further noted that staff are looking at how to handle Victoria Street as a whole. He stated that a good argument can be made to either widen Victoria Street to four lanes throughout or have a road diet and encourage active transportation facilities and an improved streetscape. The Committee discussed the challenges related to the contaminated Epton lands and agreed that the short multi-use trail on Victoria Street would provide a reasonable interim connection between King Street and Joseph Street."

Also, the original funding deadline of March 31, 2019 has been extended to March 31, 2020, and construction of the interim alignment will start in April 2019 and be completed by March 31, 2020.

I wonder if the extra time wouldn't allow for some of the pieces of the preferred direct route to be put in place instead. $1.5M is a lot for a trail route that isn't going serve many very well.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »