Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
While I get rules are made for a reason, an airport with frequent take-offs/landings (CYKF) has the same perimeter as the private dirt runway beside the onRoute off the 401?  

The Puslinch Lake water plane landing has a bigger circumference than the frequently used Kitchener heliport....

Doesn't make sense....

Coke

(05-16-2018, 12:15 PM)Canard Wrote: Drone footage (!*) of yesterday's bridge installation:

https://vimeo.com/270011435

* - How is this legal?  It is within a no-fly zone... I always wanted to buy one (before LRT construction began) but gave up when I saw all the rules that make it illegal to fly basically anywhere...
The location isnt within 9km of the airport centre it it ?
(05-16-2018, 02:06 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: While I get rules are made for a reason, an airport with frequent take-offs/landings (CYKF) has the same perimeter as the private dirt runway beside the onRoute off the 401?  

The Puslinch Lake water plane landing has a bigger circumference than the frequently used Kitchener heliport....

Doesn't make sense....

Coke

I can understand why a heliport would have a smaller radius, given the nature of helicopters.

I'm not 100% sure of the reasoning for giving dirt strips the same radius as a big airport, but it could be that the radius is dictated by small planes which are likely to use both types of airports, instead of jets which climb faster.
Big airports have set flight paths whereas smaller airports can have any type of plane coming in from any direction?
Airports basically have a cone above them of where a plane might be.

A helipad would have a cylinder because there’s no approach vector. A helicopter can go anywhere.

The Blair Trail (South) is open! I rode it home tonight. It’s in good shape.
Week 3.25 progress on IHT (photo #3 proves I'm not posting the same photos every week - even though it may look that way!):

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-22-2018, 11:20 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Week 3.25 progress on IHT (photo #3 proves I'm not posting the same photos every week - even though it may look that way!):

Thanks.  I used it this morning and saw that there was construction equipment on it and actually moving as I detoured off to take Strange and Park.

Here we go again on my own....down the only road that I've known.

https://twitter.com/CityKitchener/status...5569725440

Another week, another multi-month closure of the primary active transportation corridor in the city, with ZERO alternative routes posted (and guaranteed they won't be safe when they are).

Almost perfectly miss-aligned with the other closure.

Quite frankly, I think this is going to do real damage to cycling in our city. How will people who were on the edge of cycling react to a most of a season with no safe route to their destination. Will they come back next year?
The crappy part of that closure is that the detour is being shared with everyone that is going around the closure on Victoria Street by the 100 building. It'll be okay in a week or two when that is done but I don't get why they couldn't wait a couple weeks until the other part of the trail is done. Also the detour is posted right in the image in that tweet and while it kind of sucks it's not the worst thing... Homewood is normally a pleasant street to ride on. I imagine most people will just ride on the sidewalk on Queen Street to get back to the trail.
Is the yellow highlighted road supposed to be the detour?

Does this mean the first section is reopening?
No asphalt yet, but close:

Is that little serve/meander designed to slow cyclists down on the shared portion of the trail or just for aesthetics or both?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
It looks nice. Curves are fun.

Asphalt goes in Monday.

Minor setback at Father David Bauer (at the tracks): Some kids wrote in the concrete, so now they have to re-do it all.

https://twitter.com/uu_john/status/1000019161207062528
(05-25-2018, 07:17 PM)clasher Wrote: The crappy part of that closure is that the detour is being shared with everyone that is going around the closure on Victoria Street by the 100 building. It'll be okay in a week or two when that is done but I don't get why they couldn't wait a couple weeks until the other part of the trail is done. Also the detour is posted right in the image in that tweet and while it kind of sucks it's not the worst thing... Homewood is normally a pleasant street to ride on. I imagine most people will just ride on the sidewalk on Queen Street to get back to the trail.

I didn't actually see the yellow for detour at first, there's no legend or comment, thanks for pointing it out.

And yeah Homewood is fine, West isn't great, but Queen is a big problem...

And yes, worse with the 100 Vic closure.

They have already re-done the concrete at FDB, but it looks like total crap now.

Way to go, local hoodlums.
(05-26-2018, 09:15 AM)Canard Wrote: They have already re-done the concrete at FDB, but it looks like total crap now.

Way to go, local hoodlums.

local artists you mean
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »