Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
I completely agree, that section of the Walter Bean Trail is lovely. The whole trail really is, but I think that part it paved, which makes it a bit nicer for most cyclists.

That section of Len's Mill parking lot that was a de facto part of the Spur Line Trail between Moore and Roger (this part) has been blocked since earlier this week. This morning shows that it was blocked to allow heavy machinery to tear up the asphalt.

Detouring along the parallel section of Waterloo St is rather unpleasant given the road design and condition. But at least it's short.

I'm guessing they're tearing up the parking lot as the trailway has different drainage considerations? Maybe they need to regrade so it doesn't slope right into the building?
(10-12-2017, 01:50 PM)chutten Wrote: That section of Len's Mill parking lot that was a de facto part of the Spur Line Trail between Moore and Roger (this part) has been blocked since earlier this week. This morning shows that it was blocked to allow heavy machinery to tear up the asphalt.

Detouring along the parallel section of Waterloo St is rather unpleasant given the road design and condition. But at least it's short.

I'm guessing they're tearing up the parking lot as the trailway has different drainage considerations? Maybe they need to regrade so it doesn't slope right into the building?

This kind of thing makes me feel like a conservative.  Why are we tearing up that brand new pavement, to narrow it to a path.  As a trail user, I'd have been happy with paint and bollards.  Maybe lighting is required to be installed, fine, maybe cutting is needed. I mean, I could be wrong, but I'd be shocked if it is cheaper to tear it up and repave it.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Seems the <a href="https://twitter.com/SpurLineKW?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SpurLineKW</a> is closed in be section by Len’s Mill Store. Anyone know what’s up? <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/bikeWR?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#bikeWR</a> <a href="https://t.co/EIMn0Be378">pic.twitter.com/EIMn0Be378</a></p>&mdash; Iain Hendry (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/919579927409774592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
Based on Chutten's post above, they are redoing the asphalt ...
Right, I saw his post - but it didn't really have any firm answers as to what's going on. I was just curious if anyone "knew". The official Spur Line twitter account doesn't know either, and just indicated that there are 3 consultants and 7 different designers the project, so nobody has any idea what is going on. That's bad!
(10-15-2017, 03:06 PM)Canard Wrote: Right, I saw his post - but it didn't really have any firm answers as to what's going on.  I was just curious if anyone "knew".  The official Spur Line twitter account doesn't know either, and just indicated that there are 3 consultants and 7 different designers the project, so nobody has any idea what is going on.  That's bad!

LOL 3 consultants and 7 designers for 300 metres of trial. WTF.

(10-15-2017, 04:05 PM)clasher Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 03:06 PM)Canard Wrote: Right, I saw his post - but it didn't really have any firm answers as to what's going on.  I was just curious if anyone "knew".  The official Spur Line twitter account doesn't know either, and just indicated that there are 3 consultants and 7 different designers the project, so nobody has any idea what is going on.  That's bad!

Based on my reading of this thread, I think that qualifies as a Freudian slip!  Wink
(10-15-2017, 03:06 PM)Canard Wrote:   The official Spur Line twitter account doesn't know either, and just indicated...

@SpurLineKW is not official, just an advocacy account.
(10-15-2017, 04:05 PM)clasher Wrote:

It's a joke by an unofficial account.
(10-15-2017, 09:54 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 04:05 PM)clasher Wrote: LOL 3 consultants and 7 designers for 300 metres of trial. WTF.

It's a joke by an unofficial account.

LOL nice. I don't use twitter so I didn't catch the whole thread.
It may be a joke but it doesn’t seem like it if nobody has the details of what exactly is happening!
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UPDATE: Region is completing construction of the rail trail behind Lens Mill. Work is now underway &amp; completion of trail for early November.</p>&mdash; Region of Waterloo (@RegionWaterloo) <a href="https://twitter.com/RegionWaterloo/status/919933999614586880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 16, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">JUST CONFIRMED: The trail WILL BE illuminated.</p>&mdash; Region of Waterloo (@RegionWaterloo) <a href="https://twitter.com/RegionWaterloo/status/919976155771310081?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 16, 2017</a></blockquote>
I was happy when I first saw that they had tamped down a triangular area next to the sidewalk and connecting to the trail, but they only paved one side of the triangle and are sodding the rest.

If you are travelling southbound on Belmont to go westbound on the trail it makes for a really awkward turn from the road to the trail and the desire line from the sidewalk to the trail is right over fresh sod:

Looking west along the trail at Belmont:

At least the part they did pave lines up with the new refuge island.

By the way Belmont should open up any day now. All that looks left to be done is sodding.

Interestingly, it looks like all the driveways between Highland and Victoria were redone in concrete instead of asphalt.

Also, I was hoping GRT was going to take advantage of the work so re-space the stops between that stretch, but the bus pads are back where they were before (Victoria to Edgewood (150m), Edgewood to Metzloff (150m), Metzloff to Sobey's plaza (Highland) (140m).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »