Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
First layer of pavement on IHT between Gage and Glasgow is in. Looks to be 4.0m:

And new trail along Glasgow:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I love how black new pavement is!
@Pheidippides  You not only took the words right out of my mouth, but the photos right out of my camera Tongue

Oh well, I don't care, hurrah! the trail is paved, hurrah! the trail is proper width.  Glad to see something being done right and quickly.  I'm not even going to ask about lighting....woops Tongue.

I am glad to see the two layers of pavement.  That means it should last a good while, as opposed to some trails I see where they slap down one layer with little prep and you have weeds sprouting through the asphalt.  This looks like it will be quality work.  Even looks like a spot for a bench on a concrete pad.  Seems to be far better than the section along Trio on Belmont.  Hopefully that means drainage is done right as well.

(09-20-2017, 08:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: @Pheidippides  You not only took the words right out of my mouth, but the photos right out of my camera Tongue

Oh well, I don't care, hurrah! the trail is paved, hurrah! the trail is proper width.  Glad to see something being done right and quickly.  I'm not even going to ask about lighting....woops Tongue.

I am glad to see the two layers of pavement.  That means it should last a good while, as opposed to some trails I see where they slap down one layer with little prep and you have weeds sprouting through the asphalt.  This looks like it will be quality work.  Even looks like a spot for a bench on a concrete pad.  Seems to be far better than the section along Trio on Belmont.  Hopefully that means drainage is done right as well.

Anybody else remember when that building was PMS, I mean RMS, machinery?
On Twitter someone asked @CityWaterloo about sidewalks on Seagram Drive and they replied that not only are sidewalks finally being put in, they're also installing a MUT, and it should start construction this week.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Construction of new sidewalks &amp; multi-use-trail will start around Sept. 25, work should take about 4 weeks, weather permitting</p>&mdash; City of Waterloo (@citywaterloo) <a href="https://twitter.com/citywaterloo/status/908747630280429568">September 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
(09-21-2017, 08:39 AM)goggolor Wrote: On Twitter someone asked @CityWaterloo about sidewalks on Seagram Drive and they replied that not only are sidewalks finally being put in, they're also installing a MUT, and it should start construction this week.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Construction of new sidewalks &amp; multi-use-trail will start around Sept. 25, work should take about 4 weeks, weather permitting</p>&mdash; City of Waterloo (@citywaterloo) <a href="https://twitter.com/citywaterloo/status/908747630280429568">September 15, 2017</a></blockquote>

Lol, goodness...that's one of the very very few roads in the region that probably doesn't need one.

But hey, it probably causes little harm.
Once the LRT station opens, it almost certainly will need better pedestrian/cyclist infrastructure.

(09-21-2017, 08:49 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 08:39 AM)goggolor Wrote: On Twitter someone asked @CityWaterloo about sidewalks on Seagram Drive and they replied that not only are sidewalks finally being put in, they're also installing a MUT, and it should start construction this week.

Lol, goodness...that's one of the very very few roads in the region that probably doesn't need one.

But hey, it probably causes little harm.

?????

There aren't any sidewalks along Seagram right now, at least not form University to the LRT station.

I first noticed that a few weeks ago. I still don't understand how such a thing is even remotely possible. There's a the biggest park in the city, there's the biggest University in the city. How is there no sidewalk on this street??? How is that even possible? I find it baffling that ANY road in the city might not have pedestrian access, let alone a route between the 2 destinations in the city that are almost entirely pedestrian-accessed. I had to walk on the road to get from UW to Waterloo Park, because the embankments on the sides of the road were too steep.

It's absurdity that it's taken this long
I think most users shortcut through the parking lots. But that's no excuse.
I welcome any MUT, but I don't think the situation is as dire as you're making it out to be. There's a MUT right next to the LRT line, the Laurel Trail. It goes directly from the East side of the University right to the top of the park.
Meanwhile, in Cambridge, the trail along the river by Riverside Park had new pavement:

[Image: dkr4V3U.jpg]
(09-21-2017, 08:49 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Lol, goodness...that's one of the very very few roads in the region that probably doesn't need one.

The pack of a dozen students I passed recently says otherwise.
Also note that there's a path entrance at the bend. Currently there is no sidewalk or MUT that meets this trail.

Seagram at the bend is a fast road. Wide asphalt, no driveways. It needs something to separate pedestrians from the cars.

I am extremely pleased to hear that it's getting improved!
(09-21-2017, 01:43 PM)Markster Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 08:49 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Lol, goodness...that's one of the very very few roads in the region that probably doesn't need one.

The pack of a dozen students I passed recently says otherwise.
Also note that there's a path entrance at the bend. Currently there is no sidewalk or MUT that meets this trail.

Seagram at the bend is a fast road.  Wide asphalt, no driveways.  It needs something to separate pedestrians from the cars.

I am extremely pleased to hear that it's getting improved!

I wasn't terribly clear.  It absolutely needs a sidewalk.  GtowK is right, it's insane that it doesn't have one.

What I meant is, it has relatively little traffic, at moderate speeds, with wide bike lanes, and thus probably doesn't need MUTs as much as many other roads.

Are MUTs are cheaper to build? For the most part, it seems like MUTs are just wide sidewalks paved with asphalt.
(09-21-2017, 03:36 PM)timc Wrote: Are MUTs are cheaper to build? For the most part, it seems like MUTs are just wide sidewalks paved with asphalt.

Cheaper to build, more expensive to maintain is my (uninformed) guess.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »