Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
They've now laid sod around the Laurel Trail crossing at University Avenue. That includes the area around the pole on the north side where the push button is. So I guess they're not going to put concrete there after all.

(07-18-2017, 02:42 PM)timc Wrote: They've now laid sod around the Laurel Trail crossing at University Avenue. That includes the area around the pole on the north side where the push button is. So I guess they're not going to put concrete there after all.

That whole crossing is a writeoff.
(07-18-2017, 03:27 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That whole crossing is a writeoff.

I'm actually really curious about how it is going to work once there are trains going through there every few minutes.
I've never had an issue with that crossing. Push button, cross.
Yes, right now during the busiest times people are often lined up over the tracks waiting to cross from the south side. That will be a problem when the trains are running. The north side isn't as bad, but still has some pretty problematic pedestrian/cyclist congestion. The mud that will ensue from putting the button away from concrete is only the beginning.

The spray that was put down on the railway right of way seems to be taking effect, there's a line of dead grass/vegetation all along the railway.  Kind of unfortunate it was sprayed so far out from the tracks, and perhaps concerning if you have a pet or children.

And at least one of the bollards is missing a reflective colourful post, this could be a rather nasty thing to hit at night, thank goodness the trail is at least lit.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hi there, staff have been consulted and the trail will be completed this year.</p>&mdash; Region of Waterloo (@RegionWaterloo) <a href="https://twitter.com/RegionWaterloo/status/889574352823431168">July 24, 2017</a></blockquote>

...this year. Angry

-headdesk-
Does anyone know if this crossing at Victoria is on the radar to ever get some kind of proper upgrade?

I biked down this way for the first time last week, and there are some absolutely lovely trails here... but the lack of a crossing here is just awful.
(07-25-2017, 12:36 PM)Canard Wrote: Does anyone know if this crossing at Victoria is on the radar to ever get some kind of proper upgrade?

I biked down this way for the first time last week, and there are some absolutely lovely trails here... but the lack of a crossing here is just awful.

Yes, as a part of this project: http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/gettin...oSheet.pdf

Though it appears the refuge island will not be aligned with the trail (from here):

Construction is scheduled to start in May 2020, completion November 2021.
Why is the refuge island not aligned with the trail?

That is fantastic though to see a full MUT on both sides of the road through here!
My guess is there's a minimum length required for the left turn lane onto Hazelglen.
Regarding the Highway 7/8 Avalon/Chandler Crossing, I like 1B -- seems to be more centred for everyone living in that area...

Here is a link: http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/Hwy78StudyDesign/

Will be nice if done.

I have a bit of a sad story about the trail between Mill Park Drive and Old Mill Place in Kitchener, by the Wastewater Treatment Plant (behind Doon).

I had vented my frustrations earlier this year when I noted that signage there said construction along the closed trail was to be complete in 2016, only to find that it was still blocked off with a huge "NO TRESSPASSING" sign and fence in Spring 2017.

Regional staff told me that it would be reopened in June.

On my way home from work today, I thought I'd give the trail a try, instead of staying on the road, and see if it was actually open. The South end where it meets Old Mill Place was barred with a temporary barrier and a sign, saying it was closed... I noticed that this barrier went up after the flooding a few weeks ago.

Right as I was about to keep moving on (and not go down it), a very out-of-breath cyclist came up out of there. I asked her if it was passable, and she said no, not really. She said "But I saw a sign at the other end... that said construction was in 2016!!" before she could even finish her sentence my heart just sank.

She was somewhat distressed and I could see her bike was in really rough shape, and she was looking for help at the College (hospice?), so I helped give her directions and she went off on her way.

But it just really made me sad and upset that, here's someone a little less fortunate who was relying on infrastructure to get where she needed to go... and it totally failed her.
New bridge to separate pedestrians, cyclists at Waterloo Park

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/new-b...-1.3520292
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »