Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
Is there a map showing where these projects are?

(01-01-2018, 06:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Courtland?  Not between Mill St and Schneider Creek, then?  I'm trying to think where there is a dirt path near Courtland but I can't envision it right now.

Along Courtland's western edge. It runs from Hayward to (almost) Mill (sometimes paved, sometimes dirt). These improvements would formalize it all as asphalt, especially through the underpass.

Iain, did you not see Jamincan's post? He makes a decent guess at them.
He does, but I'm a visual person and have absolutely zero map or geography skills and don't know road or "area" names at all.  Smile

EDIT - I just went back and saw the link - I somehow missed that. I see the map now - that's exactly what I was looking for!

I love the Courtland trail!  It's how I get to Block Line station.  That'll be nice to see that formalized.
(01-01-2018, 06:25 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 06:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Courtland?  Not between Mill St and Schneider Creek, then?  I'm trying to think where there is a dirt path near Courtland but I can't envision it right now.

Along Courtland's western edge. It runs from Hayward to (almost) Mill (sometimes paved, sometimes dirt). These improvements would formalize it all as asphalt, especially through the underpass.

Iain, did you not see Jamincan's post? He makes a decent guess at them.

Thanks for clarifying for me.  Officially this would connect to the IHT at Ottawa via a Bicycle signal at Carwood, then the trail up to Bedford, and on road on Bedford, Sydney, and Nyberg, at least that was the plan I heard, I'm not sure how they intend to sign this particular route, but it would be a very useful connection.  (and then all that stands between you and the IHT is the barrier curb and grass boulevard installed by Grandlink for some ludicrous reason)
(01-01-2018, 06:25 PM)KevinL Wrote:

OK, I see.  Your assumption is quite different from mine.  You are expecting a new trail from Mill/Courtland to Courtland/Queen.  (I'm not sure how this would be routed.)  About 2 km.

I'm expecting a short connector from Mike Wagner Green (near where IHT crosses Mill St) to the path next to Schneider Haus, routed along Schneider Creek. About 200m.

Jamincan's map shows the latter.
(01-01-2018, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 06:25 PM)KevinL Wrote: Along Courtland's western edge. It runs from Hayward to (almost) Mill (sometimes paved, sometimes dirt). These improvements would formalize it all as asphalt, especially through the underpass.

OK, I see.  Your assumption is quite different from mine.  You are expecting a new trail from Mill/Courtland to Courtland/Queen.  (I'm not sure how this would be routed.)  About 2 km.

I'm expecting a short connector from Mike Wagner Green (near where IHT crosses Mill St) to the path next to Schneider Haus, routed along Schneider Creek. About 200m.

Jamincan's map shows the latter.

There are no plans to run a trail all the way up Courtland, sounds like there are two separate projects.
That text diagram that was released is infuriatingly vague. We should not have to be guessing at this! How is there not an official map?

(01-01-2018, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 06:25 PM)KevinL Wrote: Along Courtland's western edge. It runs from Hayward to (almost) Mill (sometimes paved, sometimes dirt). These improvements would formalize it all as asphalt, especially through the underpass.

That's... not what I'm talking about at all. I'm referring to the first item on the City's list, 'improvements from Mill/Bedford to Hayward'.
(01-01-2018, 10:57 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: OK, I see.  Your assumption is quite different from mine.  You are expecting a new trail from Mill/Courtland to Courtland/Queen.  (I'm not sure how this would be routed.)  About 2 km.

That's... not what I'm talking about at all. I'm referring to the first item on the City's list, 'improvements from Mill/Bedford to Hayward'.

I see.  The discussion that you replied to was about the connection between Mill and Queen, though.
(01-01-2018, 11:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 10:57 PM)KevinL Wrote: That's... not what I'm talking about at all. I'm referring to the first item on the City's list, 'improvements from Mill/Bedford to Hayward'.

I see.  The discussion that you replied to was about the connection between Mill and Queen, though.

Seems I got turned around then, I thought Dan Brotherston was talking about the Expressway underpass with his 'LRT vs Courtland' points.
The bid documents for the IHT wayfinding signage and central section reconstruction are up; hopefully the contracts were thought through better than the snow clearing contract.

Includes the trail connection near West Ave along the creek to Victoria Park.

Decently detailed map in the reconstruction documents. Work to be completed by July 15, 2018! 3.6m most of the way as far as I can tell. Looks like the Queen crossing is being redone. I think I count upwards of 70 tree removals.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Well those look nice!

I just wish. WISHWISHWISH. That there could be one unified group that decides what all signage will look like, so that ALL SIGNS LOOK THE SAME! Why are we once again getting little bits here and there that all look different?

This looks fantastic - but looks nothing like the other signage already out there.
Unification would be nice, if for nothing else than, we could stop hiring people to design signs all the time.

The signs look nice though.

Frankly, we're suffering from the "n standards? one more standard to rule them all, oops n + 1 standards" problem.

Can anyone link to the actual documents, I couldn't seem to get them from the links given.

Here's where I got the PDF from with the documents:

Click this link:  https://kitchener.bidsandtenders.ca/Modu...86e008b881

Click here:

I should also note that the plans also call for 96 new deciduous trees to be planted.

The wide, sweeping driveway and the crossing at West still concern me, but not much that can be done now:

No reason it couldn't be a tighter radius to force drivers to slow down on entry to the parking and that West couldn't be narrowed slightly:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »