Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
I forgot to mention that I saw them paving a section near Lens Mill on Moore the other day.

Perhaps a land enough land was purchased along the north side to allow it have enough parking to maintain its zoning or whatever the problem was and that part of the spur line trail can officially open soon?

Also, I noticed that some more official trails were recently made, trees cut down and woodchips placed down, through the woodlot behind Lens mill that connects to the properties on Union.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

In my head I guess I had completely misunderstood what was happening at Len's! I had no idea the trail was moving to the other side of the store. Or am I misunderstanding what's happening?
Yes it was announced a while back that the trail would be developed at lens Mills. The trail remains on the north side. Frankly I think it's a bit silly that they're tearing up the pavement just to pave it again instead of say just bollards and paint but whatever.
I guess I don't understand.

First lets make sure we are all using the same compass. I consider the north side of Lens Mill to be the Union side and the south side to be the Waterloo St side.

I thought the trail is and is going stay on the south side of Lens Mill (north of the tracks) in the regional right-of-way, but that Lens Mill needed to find additional parking on site or risk losing their commercial zoning.

The additional paving was to make way for additional parking, not the trail.

I think this article confirms that:
https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...d-by-deal/
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
My understanding is the same as yours: the trail is going to remain where it is (I don't really see how it could loop around to the north side of the building), but Len's Mill's parking is going to move now that they have purchased the Union Mini Mart building.
The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that most zoning by-laws grandfather in existing uses so that despite the fact that the store might not comply with the current zoning, it would continue on as a non-conforming use. Specifically:
Quote:8.19.1 Nothing in this by-law shall apply to prevent the use of any land, building or structure for
any purpose prohibited by this by-law if such land, building or structure was lawfully
used for such purpose on the day of the passing of the by-law, so long as it continues to
be used for that purpose.
(07-07-2017, 08:03 AM)jamincan Wrote: The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that most zoning by-laws grandfather in existing uses so that despite the fact that the store might not comply with the current zoning, it would continue on as a non-conforming use. Specifically:
Quote:8.19.1 Nothing in this by-law shall apply to prevent the use of any land, building or structure for
any purpose prohibited by this by-law if such land, building or structure was lawfully
used for such purpose on the day of the passing of the by-law, so long as it continues to
be used for that purpose.

I have no expert knowledge, nor special knowledge of this situation, but I wonder if the existing use was allowed when it started because they made the parking arrangement? So they aren’t an existing use under the meaning of the zoning bylaw — they’re actually conforming to the zoning bylaw by renting parking from the Region.

Now, this ignores that there should not be parking minima, and Len’s should be able to decide for themselves how much parking they need and where it needs to be, but that is a separate issue.

The Province could do a lot of good by setting restrictions on zoning bylaws — starting with outlawing parking minima everywhere in Ontario.

(07-07-2017, 07:11 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I guess I don't understand.

First lets make sure we are all using the same compass. I consider the north side of Lens Mill to be the Union side and the south side to be the Waterloo St side.

I thought the trail is and is going stay on the south side of Lens Mill (north of the tracks) in the regional right-of-way, but that Lens Mill needed to find additional parking on site or risk losing their commercial zoning.

The additional paving was to make way for additional parking, not the trail.

I think this article confirms that:
https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...d-by-deal/

No, you're correct, when I said the "north side" I meant, of the tracks.  I didn't understand where the paving was taking place.   I am told that the section where the trail is (will be) will also be repaved, but maybe it isn't yet (and maybe 'people' have decided against doing something so wasteful).
Repaving isn't really all that wasteful.
Asphalt "sidewalk" paved yesterday on Lackner from Fairway to Zeller. Not sure if it is a MUT, or a cheap/quick solution to get the path to the school open in time...

Coke
(07-07-2017, 10:27 AM)timc Wrote: Repaving isn't really all that wasteful.

Why wouldn't it be?   It's got brand new paving right now....asphalt isn't free.  There just seems to be little point to doing so.
(07-07-2017, 11:06 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Asphalt "sidewalk" paved yesterday on Lackner from Fairway to Zeller.  Not sure if it is a MUT, or a cheap/quick solution to get the path to the school open in time...

Coke

What is the width?
(07-07-2017, 11:10 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-07-2017, 11:06 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Asphalt "sidewalk" paved yesterday on Lackner from Fairway to Zeller.  Not sure if it is a MUT, or a cheap/quick solution to get the path to the school open in time...

Coke

What is the width?

Hard to tell, I was driving at the time.... but I don't think it's much bigger than a typical sidewalk.

Coke

(07-07-2017, 11:10 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-07-2017, 10:27 AM)timc Wrote: Repaving isn't really all that wasteful.

Why wouldn't it be?   It's got brand new paving right now....asphalt isn't free.  There just seems to be little point to doing so.

I’m not clear on what is gained by ripping it up and re-paving. If the plan is to install plantings (even just grass) or a drainage swale, they could just cut the existing asphalt and remove the part that isn’t part of the path. In particular I have an idea that pavement right up to the tracks is not considered kosher. Perhaps the base isn’t up to standard? But I would expect anything built for cars to be amply sufficient for bicycle traffic.
So they're definitely taking the new Ottawa South MUT seriously - these signal poles at Strasburg are being replaced with new ones on a wider bias.

[Image: vcpqIow.jpg]

That said, not all the sidewalks have been ripped out yet - I guess they're waiting to remove this bus shelter before tearing up this bit.

[Image: yt5EAG6.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »