Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
Most of the Waterloo Park trees were felled today. One resident was vocal in his opposition.

/\ With regards to that article...

"The trail is being widened later this summer as part of a $1.4-million project aimed at sprucing up the main promenade through the park."

So why is the title of the article "*Trees fall for LRT trail project"?

Stupid Record!

PS I've noticed The Record and CTV seem to take a negative view with regards to LRT, while CBC local news and 570 seem to take a less editorialising approach to LRT. Both of the latter had much more of a positive approach to their stories on Saturday's open house, while CTV went the other way.
I agree with your assessment of CTV, CBC and 570, but I wouldn't call The Record negative. The Record editorial board has very consistently endorsed LRT. Specific authors are different, Jeff Outhit and Peter Shawn Taylor clearly don't like LRT, while Terry Pender and Louisa D'Amato do.
(04-10-2017, 10:59 PM)KevinL Wrote: Most of the Waterloo Park trees were felled today. One resident was vocal in his opposition.

A valiant defence of the "Manitoulin maple".   I stand ready to be educated by any arborist forummers.  Wink
I didn't realize they were cutting those trees down. I hadn't seen notice posted, but the city seems to be pretty heavy-handed when it comes to cutting down trees. The same kind of thing happened by Manulife a few years back, and I was sad to see those trees go too. By the time they've grown up, it will be time to cut them down again.
@ taylortbb

Perhaps. I admit that I don't look at The Record as often as I once did so I will need to have a look at all four authors.

I still find the title of the aforementioned article to be a deliberate negative shot.
50 years ago, they would have installed the path around existing trees. Sad

But no, now we need exact widths and nothing may deviate from the concept plan. Mature trees be damned!

Yeah, when I look back at our wedding photos along the line there, it makes me cringe at how it's been decimated.

I hope in 5 or 10 years when it's grown in (and glowing), I'll smile again.
I feel the same about the location of our wedding photos, in Waterloo Park, on the boardwalk next to what is now a mud puddle. I'm not holding my breath.
I was in Waterloo Park this evening. I can't say the number of trees that have been taken down so far was devastating, and these were not huge trees. There are a few more marked, but I can't say they will be really missed. And as long as they are replaced, I don't think it will be terrible. Interestingly, the tree removal notice is supposed to be up until the 13th. Are they supposed to wait until after that to actually take the trees down?
What on earth is with all the little black bugs on the iron horse Trail???
They always come out in the spring, it's so nasty... if I remember I wear clear safety glasses to keep 'em out. gah!
(04-13-2017, 04:21 PM)Canard Wrote: What on earth is with all the little black bugs on the iron horse Trail???

I always thought those were mayflies.

You don't know mayflies until you've been to Cedar Point in the spring.
In a large swarm, at dusk? That's gnats.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »