Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
Wow, wildlife be damned. That's insane.

Typically, rail lines aren't in areas of high population where this kind of pruning happens.  The last time the Waterloo Spur was pruned, it made the papers.  A few years later, you can't tell that much happened.

I wonder what GrandLinq has planned for keeping the right of way clear.

Here's a video of the type of equipment in action:
GrandLinq already took care of anything they had to worry about, by positively decimating the Right-of-Way and making sure there's nothing living within like 50 m of the track. Before and After photos through Waterloo Park make me want to cry.

(What I'm getting at: GrandLinq hasn't got anything to do with the Spur Line trail, which is what my photos were of)
A lot of the vegetation that GrandLinq has cut back (between Weber and R&T, in particular) may well be encroaching again within a decade or so. Hopefully they wield less blunt of an instrument when they prune and trim.
The materials from last week's PCC on the central promenade are now posted. As is the input survey.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Thank you, I can't wait for this to happen!  All of it!

....except the increase in height of the fence along the LRT corridor to an absolutely insane 2.4 m.  Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
(03-27-2017, 08:34 PM)Canard Wrote: ....except the increase in height of the fence along the LRT corridor to an absolutely insane 2.4 m.  Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Wait yeah, what on Earth? I thought one of the main purposes of this whole project was to redesign the ugly black chainlink fence to make it into something much nicer. Guess that message got lost.

(03-27-2017, 11:19 PM)KingandWeber Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 08:34 PM)Canard Wrote: ....except the increase in height of the fence along the LRT corridor to an absolutely insane 2.4 m.  Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Wait yeah, what on Earth? I thought one of the main purposes of this whole project was to redesign the ugly black chainlink fence to make it into something much nicer. Guess that message got lost.

I had trouble viewing some of the PDFs, so maybe I missed it … I’m just wondering where it talks about the fence?

(which I agree, yes, is amply tall enough already; making it bigger and/or more imposing would be idiotic, and I’ll happily tell that to the face of any supposed “expert” who claims otherwise)
(03-28-2017, 08:00 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: ...
I had trouble viewing some of the PDFs, so maybe I missed it … I’m just wondering where it talks about the fence?

(which I agree, yes, is amply tall enough already; making it bigger and/or more imposing would be idiotic, and I’ll happily tell that to the face of any supposed “expert” who claims otherwise)

I too will send feedback objecting to a taller fence. I understand however, that there might be some frustrating bad policy (bad as in, shouldn't apply as generally as it does, but sadly, context specific policy is hard at best) reasons why it must be there. What really surprised me was at the open house, there were people who felt that a fence was essential to their safety.
(03-28-2017, 08:00 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I had trouble viewing some of the PDFs, so maybe I missed it … I’m just wondering where it talks about the fence?

The layout diagrams in the final PDF show the fence along the rails using a yellow colour-code, which the legend indicates is planned at '2400 mm'. My hope is that they somehow got the symbols mixed up, or mislabeled the legend.
I would assume that just the fencing around the "zoo" pieces would be that high, and that the one along the tracks is just mislabelled.
Official response from city of Waterloo staff:
"Good question and thank you for pointing out the graphical error.  No, the fence along the ION corridor will not be replaced as per the information below.  Only the fencing along west side of the Eby Farmstead (and access gates around the corners on north or south side of the farmstead pens) will be replaced with the 2.4m high fence. I will ask the consultant to revise the plan immediately."
WRC, at your service!

I'm happy that it won't be replaced with a 2.4 m fence, but I'm sad it won't be replaced. Back when it first appeared, we were assured that it would be upgraded to something far better looking during the trail rework/upgrades.

Sounds like that's not happening. Sad

Thanks for digging into this.
Well this adds to the confusion. From the minutes of a City of Waterloo council meeting Monday, February 27, 2017:

http://calendar.waterloo.ca/Module/Calen...3d63429bfc
"11. QUESTIONS
Councillor Durrell enquired about the chain link fence through Waterloo Park and the timing for the removal of the temporary fencing installed during the LRT construction. In response, Cameron Rapp, Deputy CAO and Commissioner, Integrated Planning & Public Works, advised the chain link fence will be replaced with a decorative fence in 2018 by GrandLinq."

So the black 5ft chain link fence is temporary?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »