Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
(05-07-2019, 09:24 AM)creative Wrote: Did people actually think that this was intended to be the trail? It was pretty obvious to me that this would be some kind of sitting garden with benches, gardens and trees, with the actual trail built beside this.

I think it's totally believable that could have been the trail.

You're assuming that the engineer who designed this a) knew they were supposed to be designing a piece of transportation infrastructure, b) was competent to do so.

Two big leaps.

This is the same city which chose to NOT build sidewalks in the park, because "people may wish to meander".  Well, actually, a different, but closely related city; this is a general comment on the understanding and ability of all levels of decision making about pedestrian and cycling infra.  We have improved substantially at a city level in the past few years, but this project has been through multiple (private developer) hands, with designs dating back years.

(05-07-2019, 10:01 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 09:24 AM)creative Wrote: Did people actually think that this was intended to be the trail? It was pretty obvious to me that this would be some kind of sitting garden with benches, gardens and trees, with the actual trail built beside this.

I think it's totally believable that could have been the trail.

You're assuming that the engineer who designed this a) knew they were supposed to be designing a piece of transportation infrastructure, b) was competent to do so.

Or take a look at the Laurel Trail from Erb/Caroline to Regina. No evidence that anybody even knew there is a trail there (depending on what your definition of the word “is” is).
What's the point of having both the sidewalk and the trail??
(05-08-2019, 06:14 AM)Spokes Wrote: What's the point of having both the sidewalk and the trail??

Let’s see what facilities they install there before wondering that. My impression is that the concrete that has been laid is part of the condo, and I expect the jogs will relate to fixtures, perhaps benches or garden areas.

Or maybe the designer’s toddler spent some time with the design and nobody noticed until now.
The park on Guelph Street at the spur line, currently named Uniroyal-Goodrich Park, has a rename being considered. The suggestion is Hillier Park, after the family that first owned the land; however, the voice of the trial on Twitter, @SpurLineKW, would prefer it be named for the trail itself.

Whatever your thoughts, public input is accepted here: https://www.engagewr.ca/uniroyal-goodric...ing-survey
Apparently there is a strong possibility the province could surplus the Kissing Bridge Trail land. This is utterly insane.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/944...to-public/

(06-19-2019, 04:29 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Apparently there is a strong possibility the province could surplus the Kissing Bridge Trail land. This is utterly insane.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/944...to-public/

Yeah, that's a huge concern, and given my lack of trust in the current government, I'm extremely worried about it.  Honestly though, how can they consider something like this...such bad policy.
I think construction on the Bridgeport/Laurel trail signals may have started today. There was a crew out with a daylighter and directional drilling rig when I biked through this morning.
(07-04-2019, 12:11 PM)megabytephreak Wrote: I think construction on the Bridgeport/Laurel trail signals may have started today. There was a crew out with a daylighter and directional drilling rig when I biked through this morning.

I saw some construction equipment on it two months ago and have been patiently waiting since then. Hope it's real this time!
It's definitely real this time. Forms for the pole bases are in place and it looks like they've tunneled a conduit under the road.
I think the previous work was either a utility relocation in preparation for this or some new fiber being installed as I saw a lot of bell/rogers trucks around when it was happening.
There are now masts on both sides of Bridgeport at the Laurel Trail, and a traffic light has been installed on the North side mast.

How effective is that low lighting on the trail? I was expecting more overhead lighting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »