Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
A city staffer nearly had a collision there on a ride. I always wonder why painting lines often comes years later.

So it took a near-miss from a staff member to get a change effected?
Probably didn't hurt ..........
(12-15-2018, 02:24 PM)Canard Wrote: So it took a near-miss from a staff member to get a change effected?

I am assuming that the near collision was not the reason this was painted and that it was always planned, just took a year or so.
Ah, okay - the way I read the sentence was that the only reason they were there was because someone on staff had a near miss. That would have been scandalous!
They now have a crossing island on Ottawa and Nottingham. That was always a tricky spot to cross, so it's a welcome change.
(12-16-2018, 10:44 PM)jamincan Wrote: They now have a crossing island on Ottawa and Nottingham. That was always a tricky spot to cross, so it's a welcome change.

Can you characterize the size of the island and location?  Given the Region's pathetic crossing island on Weber at the Laurel trail, I am curious.

I have only seen it from my car, so it's hard to characterize it. It occupies the space opposite the turn lane onto Nottingham, so it's roughly a car lane wide. It appears that there is enough space for a bike to comfortably occupy the space, but someone would have to use it to say for sure. I should also note that there is still cones and tape and stuff up around it; they will probably be adding signs/bollards and stuff soon.
(12-17-2018, 08:09 AM)jamincan Wrote: I have only seen it from my car, so it's hard to characterize it. It occupies the space opposite the turn lane onto Nottingham, so it's roughly a car lane wide. It appears that there is enough space for a bike to comfortably occupy the space, but someone would have to use it to say for sure. I should also note that there is still cones and tape and stuff up around it; they will probably be adding signs/bollards and stuff soon.

Thanks.

Yeah, when they're in the shadow of a turn lane, the region seems willing to size them as a full lane width, although often they still seem to shrink the island in favour of a bigger buffer for cars.
(Complain, complain, complain, complain some more... repeat!) I was waiting till I could get a photo of this island before I posted but Jaminican beat me to it. I’ll still try to get a photo. Interestingly the crossing for the island is on a diagonal so a bike with trailer should be able to fit quite easily. (Insert complaint reply here!)
The Franklin St. bridge over the 401 had reopened, and the MUT across it should set new standards for regional design!

It is paved the whole way, separated fully from traffic with a high “Jersey Barrier”, and had big, impossible-to-miss signage at the actual crossing/interface point of the On-Ramp.

Well done team!
What's a jersey barrier?

This makes me that much more annoyed about the Victoria Street bridge. Why not to the same standard?
(12-18-2018, 09:36 AM)Spokes Wrote: What's a jersey barrier?  

This makes me that much more annoyed about the Victoria Street bridge.  Why not to the same standard?

It’s the concrete wall down the middle of a freeway. Technically, the ones in Ontario are usually a slightly different design called the “Ontario tall wall”.

It should be the standard to separate motor and non-motor traffic on bridges and similar locations where traffic tends to go fast due to the absence of features. Your example of the Victoria Street bridge is very on-point and represents yet another example of professional malpractice as far as I’m concerned.

Jersey barriers are the three-foot or so concrete barriers used to separate traffic. The kind on the centre of the 401 is a variant known as an Ontario tall-wall barrier. Basically, it's designed to deflect a vehicle's tires before the car hits the barrier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_barrier
Thanks for clarifying. As you pointed that out I realized I'd probably heard that before.

The Victoria bridge is just a shame in so many ways
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »