Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defining Our Urban Areas
For the purposes of discussion on WRC let's try clarify a boundary or boundaries for the "urban" areas of Cambridge, Kitchener and Waterloo. 

For example in Kitchener is Belmont Village considered part of the urban core or is it the suburbs?

Use maps or descriptions, whatever you feel clarifies your argument.

Although it's a bit of a stretch, for simplicity's sake, I would define the urban core of Kitchener as everything inside the expressway, the boundary with Waterloo and Westmount Ave. So that would include Belmont Village.
I made a little map with Google maps, but im not sure how to upload a photo here?
I use imgur to store my online photos and I just link them here with the picture icon.
Thanks for the tip! I'm too used to using Flickr.

Anyways, this is what I'd consider "Urban"

[Image: MEWYTUS.jpg]
(03-11-2015, 12:23 AM)Lens Wrote: Thanks for the tip! I'm too used to using Flickr.

Anyways, this is what I'd consider "Urban"

[Image: MEWYTUS.jpg]

Quite an interesting article in the Toronto Star (March 20, 2015) on Region of Waterloo housing issues and planning:   the dream … and the surprising (according to the authour) forward thinking that Waterloo Region has already undertaken.

Waterloo housing: the dream … and the surprising reality
(03-22-2015, 11:40 AM)MacBerry Wrote: Quite an interesting article in the Toronto Star (March 20, 2015) on Region of Waterloo housing issues and planning:   the dream … and the surprising (according to the authour) forward thinking that Waterloo Region has already undertaken.

Already posted here with ensuing discussion.  Perhaps a Moderator can merge.

(03-22-2015, 12:05 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 11:40 AM)MacBerry Wrote: Quite an interesting article in the Toronto Star (March 20, 2015) on Region of Waterloo housing issues and planning:   the dream … and the surprising (according to the authour) forward thinking that Waterloo Region has already undertaken.

Already posted here with ensuing discussion.  Perhaps a Moderator can merge.

Unfortunately there is a bug in the forum design software that prevents moving and merging of single posts. We're aware of this issue and are working on it.

In the meantime, if we can refrain from posting full third party articles to respect the original author and source, that would be appreciated. When posting third party articles, if you may, please post excerpts and link to the original source containing the full article. An example of such is here: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...09#pid6009
(03-22-2015, 12:42 PM)The85 Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 12:05 PM)ookpik Wrote: Already posted here with ensuing discussion.  Perhaps a Moderator can merge.

Unfortunately there is a bug in the forum design software that prevents moving and merging of single posts. We're aware of this issue and are working on it.

In the meantime, if we can refrain from posting full third party articles to respect the original author and source, that would be appreciated. When posting third party articles, if you may, please post excerpts and link to the original source containing the full article. An example of such is here: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...09#pid6009

How does one know when, where or if an article or issue has been posted or referenced? My need to know ...
(03-22-2015, 01:18 PM)MacBerry Wrote: How does one know when, where or if an article or issue has been posted or referenced? My need to know ...
Good question.

The normal way would be to use the forum's Search feature using something like the headline of the article. 

But I've never been able to get this forum's Search to work properly. For instance I just did a search on "Waterloo housing dream" and got no results. Searching individually on "Waterloo", "housing" and "dream" I got many results for the first two words but nothing for "dream." That's odd since the word "dream" exists in at least two different posts.

Also to be clear my intent wasn't to criticize. Rather it was to helpfully inform people that there was already a discussion about this article and to point them to it.
(03-22-2015, 02:02 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 01:18 PM)MacBerry Wrote: How does one know when, where or if an article or issue has been posted or referenced? My need to know ...
Good question.

The normal way would be to use the forum's Search feature using something like the headline of the article. 

But I've never been able to get this forum's Search to work properly. For instance I just did a search on "Waterloo housing dream" and got no results. Searching individually on "Waterloo", "housing" and "dream" I got many results for the first two words but nothing for "dream." That's odd since the word "dream" exists in at least two different posts.

Also to be clear my intent wasn't to criticize. Rather it was to helpfully inform people that there was already a discussion about this article and to point them to it.

I very much appreciate your help and the moderator's help and position. 

Like you I didn't find a definite connection and chose this forum to post and connect. I learned a long time ago that when one writes for public consumption not to take a personal or vested interest in my words as they are for others to enjoy, read and critique in many ways.

Cheers,
 WH
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »