Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On-Ramp Metering
[Image: PHP4C453C47C9466.jpg]

Wikipedia: Ramp Meter

I'd like to see On-Ramp metering implemented on the following On-Ramps onto Hwy 401:
  • Franklin to 401 Westbound
  • Hwy. 24 (both North and Southbound ramps) to 401 Westbound

These three ramps are what cause 401 Westbound to back up at rushour every day (in addition to the too-short offramp onto Hwy. 8 Northbound).  It would better permit every-other car merging onto the highway, instead of what happens now:  A light goes green on the ramp road, 20-30 cars follow bumper-to-bumper around the ramp, flood onto 401... then a big pause when the light above goes red.

I actively try to leave a gap between me and the car in front of me when going around the ramp when this happens, but of course it's pointless because the guy behind me is right up my ass and doesn't get it.

What is your proposal for the 401E in Milton? That is the section that grinds me. People seem to stop for no reason every day on that commute.
I am fairly new to ramp metering but they seem to make sense. Any thoughts to adding Southbound 85 at University to the wishlist? This seems to be the point of congestion in the afternoon rush. I think this could eliminate the backlog that tends to reach King street on most days..... Thoughts?
Wouldn't you have to do metering on all the nearby onramps to keep from just making a worse problem elsewhere?
removing access from 85 to/from Lancaster would also improve things. The distance between Bridgeport (especially southbound) and Lancaster are too close together imho.