Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Trip to southern Spain
I am looking for an interesting vacation next winter (Jan/Feb) and I am thinking about heading to Southern Spain. Perhaps Malaga or somewhere nearby?

I am tired of going to Florida. My wife is a Disney fanatic and truthfully if I never saw Disney again it would be too soon. 

I have a young child who will be 3 during my anticipated travel time.

I was thinking about flying from Toronto to Madrid and then taking the train to Malaga and renting a car to explore the countryside. I was also thinking about renting a place to stay via VRBO or something like that. 

No part of this trip is decided on. I recognize the resourcefulness of many of the regulars on these forums and would appreciate any advice or suggestions. 

(02-14-2015, 08:44 AM)Drake Wrote: I am looking for an interesting vacation next winter (Jan/Feb) and I am thinking about heading to Southern Spain. Perhaps Malaga or somewhere nearby?

I am tired of going to Florida. My wife is a Disney fanatic and truthfully if I never saw Disney again it would be too soon. 

I have a young child who will be 3 during my anticipated travel time.

I was thinking about flying from Toronto to Madrid and then taking the train to Malaga and renting a car to explore the countryside. I was also thinking about renting a place to stay via VRBO or something like that. 

No part of this trip is decided on. I recognize the resourcefulness of many of the regulars on these forums and would appreciate any advice or suggestions. 

Perhaps not the answer you're looking for but Trip Advisor has a Forum on just about any place including Spain and Malaga.   

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g236...lucia.html
I went to Algeciras (near Gibraltar) about 13 years ago. It was quite nice. We hopped an overnight train from Madrid and were there the next morning. From there you can catch ferries to Morocco if you're interested in being more adventurous.

Rail travel has gotten better since then so you can likely make it in a few hours.
Malaga is a nice city. Around this time of the year you should expect a high of around 14 to 18C. It is also a tourist town and this is the off season so certain places might be closed.
I had considered Spain for this winter (Valencia or Murcia/Cartagena) but decided I wanted warmer weather and ended up going to Montevideo, Uruguay. It's my first visit and I'm loving it! The weather is fabulous, the culture is sophisticated, and the laid-back lifestyle reminds me of Spain about 40 years ago.
The Spaniards were laid back enough 40 years ago, but the official apparatus sure wasn't. I remember when I was touring Europe after finishing my academic years that one of general Franco's Guardia Civil (the guys with the 3-cornered hats) rushed at me in menacing fashion with his machine gun leveled because I had taken a picture of him. During a casual conversation in a bar, when political questions were raised by me, a patron looked around the room carefully and said: "Sir, we do not discuss such things."

Good for the country that the lid of oppression was lifted. I will soon be going to Barcelona and am very much looking forward to it and to interacting with an unencumbered citizenry.
(02-15-2015, 12:14 AM)eizenstriet Wrote: The Spaniards were laid back enough 40 years ago, but the official apparatus sure wasn't. I remember when I was touring Europe after finishing my academic years that one of general Franco's Guardia Civil (the guys with the 3-cornered hats) rushed at me in menacing fashion with his machine gun leveled because I had taken a picture of him. During a casual conversation in a bar, when political questions were raised by me, a patron looked around the room carefully and said: "Sir, we do not discuss such things."

Good for the country that the lid of oppression was lifted. I will soon be going to Barcelona and am very much looking forward to it and to interacting with an unencumbered citizenry.

Indeed.  I did a semester in Madrid in 1976, the summer after Franco died.  All the discussion was about whether Spain would change now that Franco was gone.  They could not have imagined what followed.  The parallel here in Uruguay would be their own period of dictatorship, mid-70s to mid-80s.  Today it's probably the most progressive place in Latin America.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.