Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Maps and satellite imagery of KW
Google Maps has recently updated much of K-W's satellite view with very recent images (can be definitively dated to November 11, 2014 due to cenotaph crowds and the progress of various construction projects). You can see strips of Ion construction in the Fairway hydro corridor and on Caroline Street; the new Block Line bridge; McLennan Park; and various other new projects.

Notably outside the range of this is the University of Waterloo, the Boardwalk, the Fairway bridge, and other things at the fringes of the cities.

Another hitch is only satellite view has this; if you're in a newer browser the aerial-imagery view may be called 'Earth', which does not have the update - you'll need to switch to 'classic Google Maps' using the settings, first.

Streetview has been recently updated with imagery from April-June 2014 as well.
Interesting stitching of the Aerial view over UW.  You can see St. Jerome's residence and the Needles Hall expansion underway but you can also only see the ghost outline of the Renison Expansion and the Science Teaching Complex.   And the QNC is still under construction too.
Incidentally Google Earth Pro is now free. (Previously it cost $399 per year.)
(02-12-2015, 09:25 AM)ookpik Wrote: Incidentally Google Earth Pro is now free. (Previously it cost $399 per year.)

Thanks for the heads up!
I noticed this the other day when I was looking at the maps of downtown and noticed the City Centre and One Victoria condos going up... the City Centre crane is right over city hall!
Interesting.
In an "Earth" mode browser, there has been a slight update, in the very north of the city. A line cutting across Conestoga Mall shows the expansion Target made.

Neat! I remember seeing the Google StreetView car while driving on Bridgeport last summer, and sure enough, I was able to spot myself.
A few interesting articles that may affect the region's ability to control it's own destiny:
The province is considering changes to the Planning Act and Development Charges Act that would, "that would give residents a greater say in how their communities grow and would provide more opportunities to fund community services like transit and recycling."

The region, with their appeal on hold, is in negotiations with the developers to come to a settlement before June 2015 over the official plan 
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Google Maps Streetview Player 
Quote:The Google Maps Streetview Player will take in either a starting point and end point, or a provided file of a route and provide a playthrough of the google streetview images that are available.

The link takes you on a walk from Waterloo Park to Victoria Park mostly along Park St to give you an idea of what this player can do. It's not perfect. For example it starts at Erb and Caroline, not Waterloo Park and there are some black frames where Google Streetview's camera didn't go. Still it's a cool tool.
Enjoy!
Also recently updated: much of the Street View imagery. I've found most of the latest (August 2015) around Downtown Kitchener, but there may be more elsewhere I haven't found. They shot some stretches this May, as well.
I gave a thumbs up to a Streeview car in May while walking on Westmount, but they skipped over that one and put the August pass up instead. I was on April 2014's pass with a thumbs up from my car near Belmont Village.
Another new feature is the box at the top left corner that lets you select historical Street Views by date. Some areas show several dates in the past couple of years, e.g. Apr14, May15 and Aug15 so you can see the evolution of a particular property. Great for people who want to follow something like LRT construction progress.

(09-18-2015, 11:38 AM)ookpik Wrote: Another new feature is the box at the top left corner that lets you select historical Street Views by date. Some areas show several dates in the past couple of years, e.g. Apr14, May15 and Aug15 so you can see the evolution of a particular property. Great for people who want to follow something like LRT construction progress.

Sorry to nitpick, ookpik, but that has been a feature for a few years now; I remember using it to investigate facade and landscaping changes when house hunting a few years back.

Quite a handy feature, to be sure.
Looks like the satellite imagery was updated as well. It appears to be from last month given the 204 iXpress landing pads.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »