Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterloo Region Terminology: What's Best?
The Waterloo Honk: Cambridge Speaks Out "I'm sick of being a third wheel"

Silly satire, but its got a point. What terminology do you think best represents this area? KW? Tri cities? Waterloo Region? What terms do you use most often? When has the terminology been a point of conflict in the area?

In my experience, in Cambridge it's "tri-cities" but in Kitchener or Waterloo it's "KW" (or even "KDUBS")

Geographically Kitchener and Waterloo are completely connected and essentially act as one city. Cambridge is more disconnected from Kitchener (it's not connected the same way Waterloo is with Kitchener) which would be why Kitchener and Cambridge don't have their own 'name'.
Waterloo names the region. It's also a brand name thanks to the UW and its spawn.

But if Cambridge feels left out, how about KWC (pronounced "quick") in place of KW to refer to the Tri-Cities? (Then of course just wait for some Craig-clone to complain that the townships are left out.)
I may be assuming, but I think the townships would be quite happy to be left out!
Waterloo Region (or Region of Waterloo), when that's what's meant.  Never "Waterloo" when speaking of the Region.  That is all.

Although "K-C-W" for the CMA works for me too.
Maybe one day the Region will be known as the "Quad Cities" made up of Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph.

They are destined to grow toward each other with contiguous boundaries connecting all four cities.
I always refer to it as Waterloo Region if talking about the whole, or by city name if talking specifics.

(02-11-2015, 01:33 AM)MacBerry Wrote: Maybe one day the Region will be known as the "Quad Cities" made up of Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph.

They are destined to grow toward each other with contiguous boundaries connecting all four cities.

But then we'd have to merge Waterloo with Wellington and that would create new naming controversies. 
I actually think Tri Cities works just as well for KW, Cambridge and Guelph as it does for Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge.
I could foresee something like Boston.  The City of Boston is one of 8 cities within the Boston Metropolitan Area, yet to the outsider, it generally looks like one city.
(02-11-2015, 12:02 PM)nms Wrote: I could foresee something like Boston.  The City of Boston is one of 8 cities within the Boston Metropolitan Area, yet to the outsider, it generally looks like one city.

So, just "Kitchener" then?  Rolleyes
Would be more like Greater London - the name comes from the City of London, but Parliament, 10 Downing Street, Whitehall, Downing Street, and most of the other things associated with London are in the neighbouring City of Westminster. Greater London is two-tier like we are.
(02-11-2015, 01:33 AM)MacBerry Wrote: Maybe one day the Region will be known as the "Quad Cities" made up of Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph.

With the Provincial Policy Statement, Places to Grow Act, Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, Waterloo Region Official Plan (currently under appeal), and a provincial government in Greenbelt expansion mode, I think it's safe to say that Waterloo Region and Guelph won't be growing towards each other anytime soon. 

(02-11-2015, 08:26 PM)YKF Wrote:

With the Provincial Policy Statement, Places to Grow Act, Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, Waterloo Region Official Plan (currently under appeal), and a provincial government in Greenbelt expansion mode, I think it's safe to say that Waterloo Region and Guelph won't be growing towards each other anytime soon. 

Never say never. Long term, the Region seems to have a preference for eastside growth versus westside growth. Thomasfield Homes has applied for an amendment to the current Regional Official Policies Plan (current "ROPP" still in effect - not the new "ROP" before the OMB) to continue growth easterly to past Belgian Nursery/Memorial Gardens. Maybe post 2031, we will be considering planning proposals out to Shantz Station. This does not include the Region's master environmental servicing studies currently ongoing for North Cambridge.

To the dismay of developers, the Region has taken a hard stance and drew the Countryside Line right through southwest Kitchener. Through the ROP appeal, if the Region gets their way, southwest Kitchener (i.e. Trussler Road/New Dundee Road/Plains Road) will permanently stay rural, while pushing KW's growth to spill into Woolwich Township and North Cambridge around the airport.

Anyone ever noticed that massive water-main pipe sticking out of the ditch of Kossuth Road at the new roundabout?......
With the new Highway 7, it certainly would make more sense to direct growth in that direction. I wonder if the Official Plan took that into account when it was put together.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »