Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phillip Square | 21 fl | U/C
I like everything about the building design but the cream/beige, I think a not as commonly used colour would have looked better.

The colours in the renders had much more impact, but it seems that they got cold feet and went ultra-neutral on the colours in the end.
Glad to see the hydro poles are present to accentuate another building. I am thinking modern highrise flanked by hydro poles just says "Waterloo!"
(08-07-2015, 12:01 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I like everything about the building design but the cream/beige, I think a not as commonly used colour would have looked better.

I was assuming that dark colour would still find it's way up to the top of the tower.  Maybe that was a bad assumption.
(08-07-2015, 09:58 AM)Drake Wrote: Glad to see the hydro poles are present to accentuate another building. I am thinking modern highrise flanked by hydro poles just says "Waterloo!"

Totally agree, I don't get why burring the power lines isn't a higher priority. So ugly.
(08-09-2015, 10:34 AM)curiouschair Wrote: Totally agree, I don't get why burring the power lines isn't a higher priority. So ugly.

This could be done on the cheap if it took place every time we opened up the street. For example Phillip st was closed to traffic last year for several months. Also burying cable and telephone used to be super-expensive because it required burying cinder blocks... until people discovered during the great internet expansion of 2000 that a sideways drilling machine burying shielded cable within rubber housing does the job equally well.
Lazy twitter-embed photo dump.
The building is taking occupancy!
The front is all clean!
There's a not-so-temporary parking lot on the south (right) side!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">256 Philip St, Blair House, has cleaned up well, just in time for move-ins. A few people have already arrived. <a href="http://t.co/O8kIe29mXE">pic.twitter.com/O8kIe29mXE</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/639889464333062146">September 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

Have they started the next tower?
Any word on occupants for commercial units? More chinese restaurants? -_-
Two of the three retail units look ready for leasing. They're all cleaned up and have drywall up.  Third unit is still being used for storage of excess furniture.

Also of note, there's a notice saying they are applying to sever the property into two for financing reasons.

Perhaps they're going to split it down the middle, and use the vacant southern half as collateral for financing for the tower on the back half of the northern lot?  Just a guess. Maybe by severing, and building on the severed lot, the new building can serve as its own collateral, while preventing potential impacts to the first building in the event of a default. I have no idea how financing works.
Is the plan here still 5 towers?
4 towers is the current plan. I believe the OP has the render for that?
(12-09-2015, 12:28 AM)Markster Wrote: 4 towers is the current plan. I believe the OP has the render for that?

Definitely looks that way.  The website confirms you're right.

I believe the original plan called for 5.  2 in the front, 3 in the back

Seriously? Another bubble tea shop for the collection...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »