Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Husky Gas Station - 417 King St North, Waterloo (Closed)
That is very unfortunate, especially given the fact that his life may have been saved were it not for a breakdown in communication.

But if that is the reason, then why are there any duplicate street names permitted in the region?

Does anyone know if another gas station is opening up? the gas pumps were the only thing removed. I notice lately when gas stations permanently close they demolish everything and take out the oil storage tank underground.
(04-09-2015, 01:42 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: Does anyone know if another gas station is opening up? the gas pumps were the only thing removed. I notice lately when gas stations permanently close they demolish everything and take out the oil storage tank underground.

I think the town has less gas stations today than 25 years ago, in spite of population growth. This seems to be a trend across the continent. In Canada overall the number of gas stations decreased from 20K to 12K from 1989 to 2008. I was surprised the Husky station closed since that particular location always seemed busy enough. I wonder which other gas station is next in line for closing.
Could have to do with the value of centrally located land?
I always fuel at Husky whenever I can. Admittedly I just like fuelling there because I like the pup logo. Smile
Drove by this site the other day and noticed a 'For Lease' sign for a new large scale office development. Looks like the gas station is history.

I forget who the listing agent was, but perhaps their website may have a conceptual plan of what is proposed for this site.
(02-03-2015, 03:37 PM)nms Wrote: Long term remediation would probably depend on what the insurance companies say.  Remember knob and tube wiring and asbestos?  Insurance companies are pretty good at convincing property owners to remove it whenever it is discovered.

Not sure if insurance did anything, they just don't cover fires due to knob and tube, since it's not a question of if there is a fire but when the risk wouldn't be able to be spread out amongst other similar properties. Insurance is good for pooling risk but if all gas stations are at a high risk of leaking the premiums would end up being very high assuming at some point each site will need remediation it runs into the same problem.

As for cleanup, sometimes the cost of remediation is more than what the property is worth, it is a problem that goes beyond just gas stations. If memory serves the new google building they didn't actually dig they use what they could of the existing building, probably due to contamination on the site, but other sites don't have the option due to the size of the building being inadequate for any sort of redevelopment.

There is activity at this property. The entire site is fenced in. The gas station buildings are gone and the trees have been removed.
(10-03-2018, 05:31 AM)Drake Wrote: There is activity at this property. The entire site is fenced in. The gas station buildings are gone and the trees have been removed.

Where is this property? Google Maps claims that 217 King St. N., Waterloo, is at Bricker St.
King and Weber, north west corner.
I think this location is at 417 King Street North.
(10-03-2018, 11:06 AM)timc Wrote: I think this location is at 417 King Street North.

That seems right:

https://goo.gl/maps/oy6T46u12aq

By contrast, 217 King:

https://goo.gl/maps/gmrvJmo2SXS2

Can somebody correct the thread title?
Fixed!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »