Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Husky Gas Station - 417 King St North, Waterloo (Closed)
The property at Victoria and Westmount used to be a Sunoco (even though there was another one across the street) the property now has a Tim Hortons. The property at Belmont and Union used to be an esso, and My Dad told me that when he was a kid (in the 1970s) the property at Highland and Spadina used to be an abandoned Texaco gas station.
Other redeveloped properties that I know of that used to have gas stations are Highland and Westmount where the Red thai Restaurant is (the old Rogers video and Tim Hortons plaza) used to have an esso/Texaco, across from there where stop 2 shop is, used to be another esso station. And where All star wings (old East side Mario's) is used to have another Sunoco station.
King/Ottawa and Highland/Spadina were both gas stations, decades ago.  I wonder why the owner of these properties is not required to clean the site up when operations cease?

In the case of Highland/Spadina, the station closed because the proprietor refused to put a coffee bar in, as the franchise was insisting.  He now runs a successful auto repair business out on Victoria St.
Weber St and Lodge (Across from Benny's Restaurant) also looks to have been a gas station lot at one time and now sits only to grow tumbleweeds in the summer.
And as I have had second thoughts about this thread, I am now wondering: as we transition to electric cars are we going to see our future cities dotted with these former gas stations? Will future cities allow these sites to be abandoned seemingly forever?
(02-03-2015, 07:18 AM)Drake Wrote: Weber St and Lodge (Across from Benny's Restaurant) also looks to have been a gas station lot at one time and now sits only to grow tumbleweeds in the summer.

Yeah that was a Pioneer gas station and car wash.
(02-03-2015, 07:18 AM)Drake Wrote: Weber St and Lodge (Across from Benny's Restaurant) also looks to have been a gas station lot at one time and now sits only to grow tumbleweeds in the summer.

Yes, I remember a gas station being there a long time ago.
(02-03-2015, 07:21 AM)Drake Wrote: And as I have had second thoughts about this thread, I am now wondering: as we transition to electric cars are we going to see our future cities dotted with these former gas stations? Will future cities allow these sites to be abandoned seemingly forever?

I could foresee a situation where a charging station is put in on top of an existing gas station without disturbing the subsoil.  Alternately, a gas station might install a charging station and slowly transition the others.  Long-term, I expect that the oil/energy companies will have a significant stake in electric charging anyways.

Long term remediation would probably depend on what the insurance companies say.  Remember knob and tube wiring and asbestos?  Insurance companies are pretty good at convincing property owners to remove it whenever it is discovered.

On the list of properties that have been successfully redeveloped, I believe the current HSBC building at King/William in Waterloo was a service station many years ago.
(02-03-2015, 03:37 PM)nms Wrote: On the list of properties that have been successfully redeveloped, I believe the current HSBC building at King/William in Waterloo was a service station many years ago.

That was a dinner as far back as  I remember which is a couple of decades or more. 
(02-03-2015, 03:37 PM)nms Wrote: I could foresee a situation where a charging station is put in on top of an existing gas station without disturbing the subsoil.  Alternately, a gas station might install a charging station and slowly transition the others.  Long-term, I expect that the oil/energy companies will have a significant stake in electric charging anyways.
Even the fastest charging option for a Tesla currently takes something like an hour. I doubt people are going to wait that long at ex-gas stations. 

Slower 110VAC or 240VAC based chargers take several hours to recharge a Tesla's batteries. So I'd expect electric cars to be recharged primarily at home or in parking lots rather than at purpose built charging stations where gas stations now stand. 

Of course if some new super-duper extra-rapid charging technology comes along then all bets are off.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »