Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sifton Properties seniors and apartment and restaurant | 12 fl | ?m | U/C
Sifton Properties seniors and apartment and restaurant
Ira Needles Blvd and Erb St, Waterloo
Developer: Sifton Properties
Project: A 12 story seniors apartment building and a restaurant with a drive through

[Image: 0DSbJaZ.png]
Site Plan

[Image: O0LvvDM.png]

Site before development

[Image: H5UuKE7.png]

City council defers west-side drive-thru request
March 12, 2014 |  James Jackson | Waterloo Chronicle | LINK

Quote:City council has deferred a development request for a restaurant with a drive-thru on the city’s west end, citing concerns for traffic congestion and public safety.

Sifton Properties wants to redevelop a 0.75 acre parcel of land on the southeast corner of Erb Street West and Ira Needles Boulevard by building an 11-storey independent seniors’ living centre and the restaurant.

The 105-unit residence, which was approved by council, will be located at the south end of the property. The restaurant would abut the roundabout to the north.

Council had concerns with the configuration of the drive-thru, its proximity to the busy section of road and the risk posed to seniors walking around the property after exiting the residence.

“I’m just going to signal my intentions right from the front and say I don’t like it,” said Coun, Karen Scian.

“I have a couple dear seniors in my family and thinking of them making that trek makes absolutely no sense to me. And having teenagers in my house . . . and knowing they like to get in their cars and head down to drive-thru restaurants, I see a conflict here.”

Councillors took issue with the confusing figure-eight design of the drive-thru and the lack of details on its future configuration or how it would fit on the site.

“Not that I’m taking a stand against drive-thrus, but I struggle with the accommodation of one on this site,” said Coun. Scott Witmer.

Trevor Hawkins, a development planner with the city, said Sifton is applying for a phased site plan on the property and the seniors’ residence is first on their list. The restaurant was only included at last week’s meeting for conceptual purposes and the developer does not have a tenant in mind.

The applicant would like to keep the opportunity open to permit a drive-thru restaurant should a tenant come forward and have interest in the area, Hawkins said.

He suggested council support the seniors’ development and the restaurant, minus the drive-thru, so if a tenant comes forward who does not require a drive-thru the deal can proceed without council approval. Councillors agreed to the request.

To help alleviate the growing traffic congestion in the area, the region has said it is planning to widen Ira Needles Boulevard in two phases. Phase 1 will start this year and extend from Highview Drive in Kitchener to University Avenue. Phase 2 (2016) will stretch from University Avenue to Erb Street.

In the applicant’s traffic impact report from 2011 it was determined a road widening of between one to three metres on Ira Needles Boulevard would be required to make room for a left turn lane into the property.
Avoid more drive thru's!

North West Waterloo is becoming a hot spot for retirement homes.  This will be #3 that I can think of.
(01-24-2015, 03:58 PM)Spokes Wrote: North West Waterloo is becoming a hot spot for retirement homes.  This will be #3 that I can think of.

It's more of an expansion of the existing one next to the site.
More business facing parking lots. They'll probably have their garbage bins next to the sidewalk. Yuck.

Do no suburban developers want to build something to be proud of?
Here's a rendering of the proposed McDonalds and office building (from the Planning Justification Report):

[Image: 2ep06SkV.jpg]
That's a really stupid spot for a drive thru, there's already enough traffic problems there. I'm sure Waterloo will acquise to it anyway.

A well designed drive through causes no traffic problems. For example, the one for the McDonalds in King and Columbia. This is a busy intersection, yet I can't recall a single time that I was inconvenienced by the McDonalds there.

p.s. Drive thrus are as popular as ever for ordering a coffee, but my gut feeling (no pun intended) is that their popularity is on the wane when it comes to ordering a burger. I did a quick search online for some stats, but couldn't find anything relevant online, other than they are very popular for coffee, which anyone who goes to a Tim Hortons or Starbucks drive thru already knows.
The McDonalds in Williamsburg has a pretty busy drive through but it doesn't always look that way because they're really good at filling orders. Also, it's properly designed to prevent cars from backing onto the street.
Is there any hints that this would be started any time soon?

Also just noticed that this would be 12 floors... that seems surprisingly high given the area... I think the closest buildings that high is around erb & university (2.5-3 kms away).
(04-05-2015, 09:52 AM)BuildingScout Wrote: A well designed drive through causes no traffic problems. For example, the one for the McDonalds in King and Columbia. This is a busy intersection, yet I can't recall a single time that I was inconvenienced by the McDonalds there.

During rush hour it actually is bad. There frequently is "grid lock". People trying to leave the McDonald's block traffic when they try to turn left, causing traffic heading eastbound on Columbia to stop and back-up into the intersection of Columbia/King. That stretch of Columbia is brutal in the morning and late afternoons during the week. I avoid it and go down Weber Street now. If you look at the redevelopment plan for Columbia, you will notice they are planning to eliminate left-hand turns onto Regina from Columbia when traveling westbound. How/why McDonald's would be except is beyond me. That McDonald's should really become an urban format soon. That means eliminate the drive-thru, the area won't be able to handle the traffic in the next 5 years. Entry and exits should move to being on King (for northbound only) and Regina Streets for their deliveries and limited parking.
(04-07-2015, 09:45 AM)Watdot Wrote: During rush hour it actually is bad.  There frequently is "grid lock".  People trying to leave the McDonald's block traffic when they try to turn left, causing traffic heading eastbound on Columbia to stop and back-up into the intersection of Columbia/King.  That stretch of Columbia is brutal in the morning and late afternoons during the week.  I avoid it and go down Weber Street now.  If you look at the redevelopment plan for Columbia, you will notice they are planning to eliminate left-hand turns onto Regina from Columbia when traveling westbound.  How/why McDonald's would be except is beyond me.  That McDonald's should really become an urban format soon.  That means eliminate the drive-thru, the area won't be able to handle the traffic in the next 5 years.  Entry and exits should move to being on King (for northbound only) and Regina Streets for their deliveries and limited parking.
+1

I don't understand why drivers insist on turning left onto 4-lane streets, especially during busy periods, even if it's legally allowed. It's difficult to find an opening without creeping out and blocking traffic coming from the left. That almost always causes grid lock until the bully driver manages to inconvenience a few dozen other drivers in all four lanes of traffic just so they can make their left turn. Instead they should be required to turn right and go around the block. In my experience it's usually faster to make a series of right turns than to wait for an all-clear to make a left.
(04-07-2015, 01:10 PM)ookpik Wrote: I don't understand why drivers insist on turning left onto 4-lane streets, especially during busy periods, even if it's legally allowed.

People are can be selfish and inconsiderate.

There is some construction fencing around this site now, someone also seems to have drained the pond that was previously there.
Drove by this yesterday and a lot of progress has been made. The steel framing method is unlike any I have seen. It is almost like a modern version of balloon framing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »