Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Post your pictures of Waterloo Region!
(10-08-2021, 09:44 PM)plam Wrote:
(10-08-2021, 08:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Very nice! This is where a proper camera comes into its own, phone cameras really struggle with night shots.

P.S. You might consider posting JPEG in the future -- the PNG is about 4x the size and will use up your attachment quota that much faster.

The Pixel 4a night mode is pretty good. In some ways it's better than a small point and shoot. Cameras with bigger sensors probably do better. What I find phones can't really do is reasonable zoom (eg birds).

Yes, that's what I was implying. You can't use software to recreate what the sensor is not capturing, only optimize what it does capture. And, yes, my reference point is a DSLR or a compact with a reltively larger sensor (such as a Sony RX100).

Being able to select a lens and being able to control exposure, shutter speed and depth of field is something else that I can't do with a phone camera.

That said, I use my phone camera a lot more than I use my RX100 or the DSLRs. Most of the time it's easily good enough, and it's always in my pocket.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Post your pictures of Waterloo Region! - by Lens - 08-26-2014, 08:03 PM
RE: Post your pictures of Waterloo Region! - by tomh009 - 10-09-2021, 11:07 PM
[No subject] - by Lens - 08-26-2014, 10:55 PM