Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homer Watson and Ottawa Three Lane Roundabouts
(09-27-2017, 11:01 PM)KevinL Wrote: THERE. ARE. NO. LIGHTS.

THERE ARE 4 LIGHTS

The overhead exit sign from the Conestoga Parkway to Highway 7/Victoria St/ Frederick St also has the plates as well. So does the exit sign Southbound from Highway 85 to Wellington St

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Conest...bf64ced638
All lanes were fully opened this afternoon.
The pictures show multi-use trails and we tested them out today. They do effectively get you from Kehl to Alpine, so you only have 600m on a sidewalk if you want to get to Strasburg and the bike lane there. The multi-use trails are wider than the formerly-scary sidewalks. Those two roundabouts are gigantic.

Also, a bike lane will get you on Block Line (say from Strasburg & Block Line) over to the LRT stop. You can also get to Fairview Park on that dirt trail parallel to Fairway Rd.
So this happened yesterday... but overall I have to say this intersection seems to be working quite well, no real backups and its very smooth getting through it, much fewer delays than when it was signalized.

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-09-2017, 03:54 PM)plam Wrote: The pictures show multi-use trails and we tested them out today. They do effectively get you from Kehl to Alpine, so you only have 600m on a sidewalk if you want to get to Strasburg and the bike lane there. The multi-use trails are wider than the formerly-scary sidewalks. Those two roundabouts are gigantic.

Also, a bike lane will get you on Block Line (say from Strasburg & Block Line) over to the LRT stop. You can also get to Fairview Park on that dirt trail parallel to Fairway Rd.

Which MUT were you on?  The one on the south side goes all the way past Strasburg I believe to McLennan Park Gate to provide park access.  Getting to Strasburg should be easy on the south side (of course, it would be nice if there was some way of knowing that at Alpine.  It would also be nice if some (any really) effort was made to connect the bike lanes to the trail, as it is, they're basically 10 yards apart for no reason.  Still, it's nice that we're down to complaining about little details instead of "there should be a path instead of nothing".
(10-09-2017, 09:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Which MUT were you on?  The one on the south side goes all the way past Strasburg I believe to McLennan Park Gate to provide park access.  Getting to Strasburg should be easy on the south side (of course, it would be nice if there was some way of knowing that at Alpine.  It would also be nice if some (any really) effort was made to connect the bike lanes to the trail, as it is, they're basically 10 yards apart for no reason.  Still, it's nice that we're down to complaining about little details instead of "there should be a path instead of nothing".

North side (seemed like a good idea at the time). Will check out the south side. And yes, it is a huge improvement over "Wow, Ottawa really sucks for anything that's not a car".

Given the number of roundabouts in this region, there really shouldn't be much of an increased collision risk here. It's not like these are a new thing for us.
Is there anything to the thought that someone entering a roundabout shortly after leaving a highway has difficulty adjusting speeds downwards? With a few exceptions, most of the other exits in the area typically end in a stoplight, a T-intersection or both.
(10-16-2017, 12:54 PM)nms Wrote: Is there anything to the thought that someone entering a roundabout shortly after leaving a highway has difficulty adjusting speeds downwards? With a few exceptions, most of the other exits in the area typically end in a stoplight, a T-intersection or both.

Many offramps in the region simply merge onto an existing road, you might suggest that this is a "stop light" eventually, but it still results in drivers carrying on at 80-90 km/h for quite a distance on urban roads.  I don't think this is any different, and is likely to be quite a bit better than those cases.
(10-10-2017, 10:35 AM)Spokes Wrote: Given the number of roundabouts in this region, there really shouldn't be much of an increased collision risk here.  It's not like these are a new thing for us.

You'd think that. Using the roundabout today, travelling north on Homer Watson, woman in a minivan also travelling north on Homer Watson (far left lane), waited for traffic to her left to clear, but rather than continue to merge right around the roundabout, she goes left into oncoming traffic. I decided at that point to go carry on around the roundabout and sure enough I met her carrying on in the wrong direction. Blasted my horn but she just left the lane I was in to attempt get back onto Homer Watson north. What an idiot. Hopefully she'll stay off road, looks like she may have been from Stratford being she went in that direction on the highway.
(10-16-2017, 03:28 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 10:35 AM)Spokes Wrote: Given the number of roundabouts in this region, there really shouldn't be much of an increased collision risk here.  It's not like these are a new thing for us.

You'd think that.  Using the roundabout today, travelling north on Homer Watson, woman in a minivan also travelling north on Homer Watson (far left lane), waited for traffic to her left to clear, but rather than continue to merge right around the roundabout, she goes left into oncoming traffic. I decided at that point to go carry on around the roundabout and sure enough I met her carrying on in the wrong direction. Blasted my horn but she just left the lane I was in to attempt get back onto Homer Watson north. What an idiot. Hopefully she'll stay off road, looks like she may have been from Stratford being she went in that direction on the highway.

Honestly, I question whether anyone who would turn left at a roundabout should be allowed to drive at all--and I don't mean, they should learn.  It's design implies it's purpose, then there are signs, and then there is the behaviour of (virtually) everyone else.  If none of that is sufficient, well, driving is not a right, and I believe some people lack the capacity to do it safely.
Old GPS map told her to turn left???

(10-16-2017, 04:05 PM)creative Wrote: Old GPS map told her to turn left???

I didn't see anything, but who knows. Hopefully she got a quick lesson with the transport truck honking at her then me. I've seen a lot of ridiculousness in these roundabouts, but I've never seen someone attempt to go left to go straight through. I was even thinking if she was going left to get onto Ottawa Street somehow, but it wasn't even that.
(10-16-2017, 03:28 PM)jeffster Wrote:

You'd think that.  Using the roundabout today, travelling north on Homer Watson, woman in a minivan also travelling north on Homer Watson (far left lane), waited for traffic to her left to clear, but rather than continue to merge right around the roundabout, she goes left into oncoming traffic. I decided at that point to go carry on around the roundabout and sure enough I met her carrying on in the wrong direction. Blasted my horn but she just left the lane I was in to attempt get back onto Homer Watson north. What an idiot. Hopefully she'll stay off road, looks like she may have been from Stratford being she went in that direction on the highway.

That's insane.  But not surprising.  I had that happen to me in Ottawa one of the first times I encountered a roundabout 10+ years ago.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »