Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homer Watson and Ottawa Three Lane Roundabouts
(05-29-2017, 10:29 AM)Canard Wrote: And actually... if you're coming up Franklin, people in the outside lane from Pinebush heading East are perfectly allowed to use it to go straight through.

It is up to the person entering to determine if it is safe to do so.

The one I hate is when I'm going North on Franklin, right lane, queued to enter to go straight through and I never know if the person in the centre lane is going to exit or wrap around North on Franklin too, but in the left lane - because nobody uses their signal!

If they signal left, as in they're wrapping around, I can enter and parallel them. But if they're exiting they end up cutting across (allowed). It's just annoying because that lack of signalling hurts the overall efficiency of the system.

I'm confused by your scenario...

Assuming the person in the centre lane and you both enter at the same time:

1) They go straight (2nd exit) or left (3rd exit) and you exit at e/b Pinebush (1st exit)
     - They don't affect you.
2) They go straight (2nd exit) or left (3rd exit) and you exit at n/b Franklin (2nd exit)
     - They don't affect you.
3) They go straight (2nd exit) or left (3rd exit) and you exit at w/b Pinebush (3rd exit)
     - You are in the wrong, so you would never do this.  Smile

End of story, the lanes to your left don't affect you if you are in the proper lane.  Idiot's to your right however....  (Had an outside lane driver almost sideswipe me as they were following (3) as above)

Coke

(05-29-2017, 10:59 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 10:29 AM)Canard Wrote: And actually... if you're coming up Franklin, people in the outside lane from Pinebush heading East are perfectly allowed to use it to go straight through.

It is up to the person entering to determine if it is safe to do so.

The one I hate is when I'm going North on Franklin, right lane, queued to enter to go straight through and I never know if the person in the centre lane is going to exit or wrap around North on Franklin too, but in the left lane - because nobody uses their signal!

If they signal left, as in they're wrapping around, I can enter and parallel them. But if they're exiting they end up cutting across (allowed). It's just annoying because that lack of signalling hurts the overall efficiency of the system.

I'm confused by your scenario...

Assuming the person in the centre lane and you both enter at the same time:

1) They go straight (2nd exit) or left (3rd exit) and you exit at e/b Pinebush (1st exit)
     - They don't affect you.
2) They go straight (2nd exit) or left (3rd exit) and you exit at n/b Franklin (2nd exit)
     - They don't affect you.
3) They go straight (2nd exit) or left (3rd exit) and you exit at w/b Pinebush (3rd exit)
     - You are in the wrong, so you would never do this.  Smile

End of story, the lanes to your left don't affect you if you are in the proper lane.  Idiot's to your right however....  (Had an outside lane driver almost sideswipe me as they were following (3) as above)

Coke

Sorry, re-read your post Canard, and I was the one in the wrong as I misinterpreted the "enter parallel to them" comment.  Oops.

Coke
I wish the Region would do some sort of educational campaign regarding signaling in roundabouts. The rules are fairly simple and would greatly increase their efficiency, but when you even most police cars and buses fail to signal, there is clearly some sort of communication problem.
I always signal in and out of the roundabouts, but the local variety are so small that I really wonder if drivers have time to see and react to the signals of other vehicles? I would never rely on another vehicle's signal alone in deciding how/whether to proceed in a local roundabout.
Haven't we already done that? But I'm not sure you can say that the rules are fairly simple when there isn't even agreement about what exactly the rules are.

Can we at least agree to not add another sign at every roundabout entrance that provides information on signalling?
Yeah, it's a problem that people don't appreciate the situations where signalling in a roundabout really does make a difference.
Having visited a country that has history with them (New Zealand) it was very fluid to use them.  You could confidently enter a roundabout while traffic was exiting next to you.

Failing to signal in a roundabout is like failing to signal a lane change. Sure, most of the time you can get away with it, but it's much better and safer for everyone involved if we signal our intent.
In most countries in Europe, you signal your intent to exit the roundabout, but you do not need to signal your intent to continue circulating the roundabout (which is the only other choice anyway if you are not exiting).

(05-29-2017, 11:00 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Sorry, re-read your post Canard, and I was the one in the wrong as I misinterpreted the "enter parallel to them" comment.  Oops.

Coke

No worries, my wording isn't very clear (I'm terrible at describing things).  I went to make an image, but Google Satellite view isn't quite up to date in the area.  Here's a different roundabout (Block Line), trying to show the same scenario.  Green line is my intent, red path is where the other car could go.  If they signal "left", I know they're holding the inside line, and I can go too.  If they signal right, I know their intent is to exit, crossing my path - so I wait.  If they don't signal at all, I have no idea what they're doing - so I have to wait... and if they end up staying in, then that was a missed opportunity to go (efficiency loss).

At the line where you are waiting it would be pretty difficult to see a left-side turn signal on the "red" car, though -- unless he were still 1/3 a circle away from you, in which case you would have enough time to go and get out of the way anyway.
Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't find it difficult at all actually.
(05-29-2017, 12:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote: At the line where you are waiting it would be pretty difficult to see a left-side turn signal on the "red" car, though -- unless he were still 1/3 a circle away from you, in which case you would have enough time to go and get out of the way anyway.

Believe me, in practice, it works.
(05-29-2017, 11:49 AM)Markster Wrote: Yeah, it's a problem that people don't appreciate the situations where signalling in a roundabout really does make a difference.
Having visited a country that has history with them (New Zealand) it was very fluid to use them.  You could confidently enter a roundabout while traffic was exiting next to you.

There fixed it for you.  If I had a dollar for every time I missed an opportunity to cross to turn because one oncoming car slowed down without indicating an intent to turn, and screwed up timing, well, I could buy them all driving lessons.

When it comes right down too it, failure to signal is an epidemic in our city/province/country.
Alpine Roundabout is taking shape. The Homer Watson roundabout is further behind.

Attached Files Image(s)

Speaking of under-construction roundabouts, on Ottawa South at Homer Watson things have come along very well. It's a matter of days before they reroute traffic from the current temporary roadway onto the new; I don't know exactly how traffic is intended to flow while the rest of the work completes (they might have the full roundabout pattern but with lane reductions,or they might still use lights to control things).
The Alpine Community Neighbourhood Association put together a good post on what to expect during construction:

http://alpine-cna.blogspot.ca/2017/02/yo...about.html

The current phase was expected to last until August 25, but the start date was changed from April 3 to April 10 so that may affect things. I haven't seen any updates about whether or not things are on schedule (but neither have I paid particular attention to channels that info would be on).

The full plans are available in a pdf document: https://icreate3.esolutionsgroup.ca/2306...b72017.pdf

I'm also interested in how they manage traffic. My general impression is that the bulk of late August and all of September will be full of smallish flow changes as they gradually move traffic into the roundabout system. It will be hard to predict and will likely be pretty unpleasant.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »