Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
(02-07-2015, 09:52 PM)Waterlooer Wrote: It's pretty exciting! I wonder where the 200 iXpress and route 7 will detour through once construction on King Starts. I suppose the schedule will need to change to reflect the delays.

Hopefully the changes to the 200 iXpress and Route 7 proposed for Fall 2015 happen, because they will allow Route 7 to be managed on a headway basis. With construction delays and detours, that will be very valuable.

Anyone know where the drop under the tracks will start on the north side?  The renders for 607 King show level crossing at Moore/Breithaupt (75 m n of tracks) but that would seem pretty steep.  Wellington is ~180 m north of the tracks on Weber and was fairly level pre construction...190m north on King is a higher elevation and well past the north side of 607 King.  Also, I assume the King crossing will be deeper than Weber to allow trains through?

(http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...t=607+king)

Edit: street name
(02-08-2015, 12:53 PM)Smore Wrote: Anyone know where the drop under the tracks will start on the north side?  The renders for 607 King show level crossing at Moore/Breithaupt (75 m n of tracks) but that would seem pretty steep.  Wellington is ~180 m north of the tracks on Weber and was fairly level pre construction...190m north on King is a higher elevation and well past the north side of 607 King.  Also, I assume the King crossing will be deeper than Weber to allow trains through?

(http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...t=607+king)

Edit: street name

Pages 4 and 5 of this PDF give a good sense of the grade changes.
I was going to say, just because it is level to the ground it doesn't mean it is level to the present ground, as the posted plan above shows.
Thx! but still, the intersection at Moore/King will be maintained - 10 ft lower than current?
When I talked with engineers about this section a couple of years ago, they said the whole track (looking West) will be raised. Right now the line is more or less flat then slopes upward heading west - you can see this standing on the station platforms looking off in the distance. The track will be straightened so the slope is reduced which will have two upshots - less work at the king underpass, and easier on freight traffic which currently can't start heading west from a standstill there.
If it slopes upwards heading West, what will the alignment at Park & Strange be? Will there be underpasses there as well? I seem to recall the Highspeed Train consultant mentioning something like that sort of crossing would be required.

No additional underpasses are planned at this time. I suspect that the crossing there will remain untouched by this construction.
There is no need to grade separate Park until there is a concrete plan for additional service west of King St. If high-speed rail comes to town, then it would be lumped in with that project.
The other elevation problem that they would need to solve is if the tracks raise in elevation at any point higher than it is now, the cut-off to the south interchange yard, plus the switch into the current GO sidings will also be affected.
(02-07-2015, 09:52 PM)Waterlooer Wrote: It's pretty exciting! I wonder where the 200 iXpress and route 7 will detour through once construction on King Starts.

Perhaps Victoria to Waterloo to Breithaupt or Wellington?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
There is an interesting view of what a potential train shed would look like over King St at the HUB burried in a video on the Region's website that I have never seen before.

The image is at 1min 47sec in to the video which is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ETpbeilI0
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
said rendering:
[Image: tUbSgq1.jpg]

Nice, I'd be happy to see it built something like that. It'd be nice to see more covered train stations in Ontario.
I agree, it's a fantastic looking concept. Reminds me a bit like a "lite" version of Calatrava's Gare de Lyon/Saint-Exupéry TGV station (which also has the LRT-Connector Rhônexpress in the basement!).

I hope there are some glass panes in that design to block the wind. All the platforms along the route appear to be completely exposed. Do our designers know we have real winter here?
I like that a lot, but I'm with Drake, I hope it's not completely open
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »