Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
(08-20-2016, 06:39 PM)white_brian Wrote: Just wondering why they would use ballast on the bridge instead of embedded track. Is this to help disperse the vibration or something totally different?

I believe mainline railway bridges (at least here in Ontario) almost always use ballasted track. As far as I know it’s exactly the same ballast and track structure as everywhere else, just resting on a bridge deck instead of on the ground. Some bridges, I think older ones, have ties as part of the bridge structure and the tracks attached directly. The old Laurel Creek crossing was like that. I can’t say why for sure, but certainly by doing it this way the track construction technique does not have to differ on and off bridges.

Another note: as far as I can tell, the freight trains on the Waterloo Spur will not travel on *any* embedded track. I don’t know if it is more difficult to embed track up to freight specification or for some other reason.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: King Street Underpass at the Transit HUB - by ijmorlan - 08-20-2016, 08:04 PM