Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
I can't imagine them building all the steel/aluminum grid stuff only to leave it open, that would be so assine and almost pointless/useless as an actual shelter.

[Image: biosphere.jpg]

Smile

(Yes, I know it used to have panels, that all burned off)
LOL, let's stick to glass, it's harder to burn.
Last day to cross the tracks at King! Closes tomorrow for the reconstruction.
CN brought in some track testing gear this morning, I presume related to the Go  / Park St work.

I'm told King and Park have been fully blocked now (no weekend pass throughs)
Crazy long detours now if you want to walk to Vincenzo's from downtown Kitchener. Oh well, short-term pain for long-term gain.

Maybe GRT could consider running a "Detour Bus" that would run for free and help out pedestrians?
Looking from Park street, some of the tracks are fenced off.  I had not noticed this before -- is this for overnight parking for GO?

[Image: 3onNRhY.jpg]
Yes, that's the GO layover facility where the trains sleep. It's been there from the start of GO service.
Will the Go Train be out of commission at all while this is being worked on? I can't image they'd be able to keep functioning track work throughout the entire process, can they?
(09-26-2015, 07:53 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Will the Go Train be out of commission at all while this is being worked on? I can't image they'd be able to keep functioning track work throughout the entire process, can they?

I don’t believe GO service stopped for the Weber St. overpass work. There are also freight trains and interrupting that service is very expensive. I would expect only very brief interruptions.
(09-26-2015, 08:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 07:53 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Will the Go Train be out of commission at all while this is being worked on? I can't image they'd be able to keep functioning track work throughout the entire process, can they?

I don’t believe GO service stopped for the Weber St. overpass work. There are also freight trains and interrupting that service is very expensive. I would expect only very brief interruptions.

They were working out there on the tracks this afternoon.

(09-26-2015, 08:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

They'll be able to stage the work so the line remains open at all times; basically they'll dig half the space and erect half the bridge span, then move the rails onto it, then dig the other half and complete the span. Though likely a bit more complex than that.

They have the advantage of only having to keep the rail line open, while King is completely shut.
Can someone clarify for me how long exactly King will be closed for this? I had thought all the way until the Ion's launch two years from now, but this article in the Record says "King, Wellington to Victoria, Kitchener — road closed for railway underpass construction, through 2016."

That didn't seem right to me, but maybe.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »