Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Street underpass at the transit hub
Oh baby that's a sweet crane!

Two videos on CTV trying to drum-up dome-hate:

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=784471

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=784157

Oh no! Something cost money!! Shock!!
(01-09-2016, 09:54 AM)Canard Wrote: Two videos on CTV trying to drum-up dome-hate:

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=784471

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=784157

Oh no!  Something cost money!! Shock!!

I found out that many parts of the Sofia metro run under a dome:

https://goo.gl/maps/gdbDsQ2JKtn
Sapporo's rubber-tired subway also runs in above-ground tunnels.  It's not particularly relevant to this discussion, though.
Construction progresses on the temporary shelter.

Nice shots!

I don't understand this dome. I understand the IDEA, but it seems to only cover a minute section of the underpass. And now, due to the footing of the the dome, there's concrete where the rest of the underpass needs to be dug out. Shouldn't the dome have been facing the opposite direction?
Great pics, Canard!

(01-21-2016, 01:51 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Nice shots!

I don't understand this dome. I understand the IDEA, but it seems to only cover a minute section of the underpass. And now, due to the footing of the the dome, there's concrete where the rest of the underpass needs to be dug out. Shouldn't the dome have been facing the opposite direction?

I was wondering the exact same thing... does anyone have more insight into exactly what it will be used for?
GtwoK, I'm kind of confused too. It also seemed weird to me that it was going up the end of January instead of late December / early January.

It's one of those things where I assume they know what they're doing, but just seemed strange to me.
From the look I had at the foundations, they seemed to have plenty of room to work on the underpass.

Not that this photo shows that off very well.

Seeing that the foundations for the bridge are pretty well completed, I can only assume that the dome is to allow for construction of the bridge span itself as clasher mentioned.

The need for a heated work environment also tells me the bridge is likely to be cast-in-place concrete as opposed to steel girders (Weber Street) or pre-cast concrete which wouldn't need to be installed in a controlled environment (also wouldn't be able to crane the pieces in through the dome. The remainder of the excavation and any retaining walls etc could be completed in the spring.
Hmm. That makes sense, then. I'm curious, the Weber grade separation allows for a 3rd rail crossing to eventually be added - there is a space left for it in the bridge framework, all that is needed is the girder. Is it the same with this overpass if cast-in-place concrete is used? Or would they be creating all 3 spans right now?
(01-21-2016, 01:51 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Nice shots!

Maybe they are going to add the elevators and escalators up to the VIA/GO platform levels from each side of King Street, while they also build the bridge. When I drove by there tonight on my way home, I noticed that there is a very tall section of dome being built in the middle part where King Street crosses.

I am confused by the decision to start the major construction of the dome in January. If you know that you are far behind and need a dome for the winter time, why are you starting construction in late December?
(01-22-2016, 06:39 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I am confused by the decision to start the major construction of the dome in January. If you know that you are far behind and need a dome for the winter time, why are you starting construction in late December?

Maybe the builder of the dome was a couple of weeks late in getting all the parts? It's likely this was very much a rush order, and it has to be designed, material procured, fabricated and pre-assembled. Things take time. I get what you're saying, though - to the public, who aren't aware of (and aren't being told) the reasoning behind it, it's a real head-scratcher. I hope it's worth it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »