Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion

The sign was flashing about the closure when I drove past on Tuesday morning. Not sure why they left it so late before releasing this advisory.
Over the weekend, I noticed that the Victoria St. Bridge is now paved!

Shouldn’t be long now until reopening.
Question on Victoria: it seems as though they poured a concrete slab onto some surface supported by the red structure. Why would they choose to do this instead of the beam method used on most highway bridges?
(10-22-2018, 07:25 AM)Canard Wrote: Over the weekend, I noticed that the Victoria St. Bridge is now paved!

Thank goodness!  Can't happen soon enough.

Thanks for the update.
(10-22-2018, 07:25 AM)Canard Wrote: Over the weekend, I noticed that the Victoria St. Bridge is now paved!

You beat me to it, only just uploaded the pictures I took yesterday.  Here's the west end looking east:

[Image: 43679374540_802770d973_c.jpg]
Victoria St Bridge Replacement, 2018-10-21 by Kevin T, on Flickr

And the east end, looking west.  Still some paving to be done here:

[Image: 31623424898_0e6ecb4409_c.jpg]

Of course the question is, will they open it while the support scaffolding is still up, and if not, how long will it take to pull that stuff down?  Also, they were still pumping concrete near the east end abutments on my drive home on Friday, so probably a bit of curing to wait for there too...

Edit to add: Huh, doesn't appear to be any room for bike infrastructure. Sad
(10-22-2018, 08:42 AM)timio Wrote: Question on Victoria:  it seems as though they poured a concrete slab onto some surface supported by the red structure.  Why would they choose to do this instead of the beam method used on most highway bridges?

The bridges built with slab-on-beams seem to be thicker overall, perhaps they didn't have the height to work with?  I'd imagine that lowering the active highway beneath would have been quite difficult and expensive...

Oh, and the grading for the new ramp northbound between Victoria and Frederick (off Bruce) is coming along as well:

[Image: 45445312632_110828f18b_c.jpg]
(10-22-2018, 11:05 AM)KevinT Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 08:42 AM)timio Wrote: Question on Victoria:  it seems as though they poured a concrete slab onto some surface supported by the red structure.  Why would they choose to do this instead of the beam method used on most highway bridges?

The bridges built with slab-on-beams seem to be thicker overall, perhaps they didn't have the height to work with?  I'd imagine that lowering the active highway beneath would have been quite difficult and expensive...

Ah, that makes perfect sense - I bet you're exactly on with your guess!

Also, one other traffic note, I couldn't quite figure it out this morning but I think something changed last night during the 8>401 flyover closure. I'm just not sure exactly what it was. Whatever they did, it hasn't seemed to impact traffic flow at all in a negative way, thankfully.
One would think the space existed to raise Victoria though. Might be a bit tight with Factory Shoes driveway right there, but slopes at 50km can allow for shorter distances to rise.
(10-22-2018, 11:11 AM)KevinT Wrote: Oh, and the grading for the new ramp northbound between Victoria and Frederick (off Bruce) is coming along as well:

[Image: 45445312632_110828f18b_c.jpg]

Google has been showing that ramp as open all along through this process. It makes directions into Waterloo from the east part of Kitchener very annoying.
(10-22-2018, 01:07 PM)jamincan Wrote: Google has been showing that ramp as open all along through this process. It makes directions into Waterloo from the east part of Kitchener very annoying.

Have you reported it to them? I forget exactly where/how, but there's a control for that somewhere in the web browser version, and probably in the mobile apps too. They aren't always the quickest with that sort of feedback, but it's better than only reporting it here. Smile
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/victoria-st...sc=GhZGJJQ

Victoria Street bridge scheduled to reopen Sunday night.

And early, too! This is awesome!!
Great news! That detour's a pain!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »