Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
Fountain Street bridge - Looked like they were applying the 2nd lift of asphalt this morning. So on track to opening either ahead or just after the labour day weekend.

On Friday morning, the sides weren't paved, and in the evening when I returned home over it they were.  They were working quite late, too - up until now they were just working 7am-3:30pm, but they must be pulling OT now to try and scramble to get it done. (In the photo below they were paving further East, still at it at close to 6pm)

In other construction news, I saw one of those concrete pumpers with a huuuuuuuuuuuge long boom out over the Victoria St. Bridge a few days ago, so they must be pouring and filling the forms.
The Fountain St. Bridge opens tomorrow to drivers at Noon.

Ref: https://twitter.com/lisadrewradio/status...31489?s=21
(08-29-2018, 09:02 PM)Canard Wrote: The Fountain St. Bridge opens tomorrow to drivers at Noon.

Ref: https://twitter.com/lisadrewradio/status...31489?s=21

Route 61 returns to it's standard routing on Monday (technically Tuesday due to Labour Day)
The Ottawa St widening from the highway to Lackner is still having some work done on the section closest to the highway.
The company that put down the grass, put down a strip of sod along for road and along the sidewalk, in between they used the spray grass solution. The resulting boulevard is almost 100% weeds. Earlier in the summer especially the section near old Chicopee Dr the sod was dead. So far this part of the project looks terrible.
The oval forms for the centre pylons for the Franklin Bridge replacement are up and lots of workers were crawling all over it like a treehouse yesterday. Fun!
There is a bid out for, "Engineering Consulting Assignment for Schedule C Class Environmental Assessment (EA) & Preliminary Design; Detailed Design; and Construction Inspection & Contract Administration Services" on University Ave between Albert and Weber.

Did I miss the report on the results of the "University Gateway streetscape"  consultations?

The bid document does mention the gateway project as one that "has been identified to have the potential to impact this project" (meaning this bid/tender), but asking for a design before you know what the public wanted seems backward.

I had hopes that university could be improved for all users, but this makes me worry that won't be the case.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I found on their instagram account -uniavegateway - some renders based on feedback, including fully separated bike lanes
While heading Northbound this afternoon on Charles, at Borden there is a new construction sign, indicating that the road (Charles) will be closed starting tomorrow, September 17, for 2 weeks!

Didn't spot another sign facing the other way for Southbound traffic, so I've no idea the scope of the closure, or what it's for. Does anyone know more?

Last weekend crews were digging what looked like an exploratory hole in the Northbound Left Turn lane at Charles/Cedar...
They're detouring buses on Charles for a bit, yeah. Can't find the detour notice on the GRT site but it is marked on the poles in the area (Benton to Borden).
I think you mean off Charles, no?

I was more interested in why the road will be closed... like specifically what work is to be done.
Yes, off Charles. No idea what the work is.
Ah, okay.

I couldn’t believe it when I drove through on Friday - Fountain/King is DONE!!!
401 is closing tonight near the Franklin St Bridge. I noticed on my drive home that two large steel structural spans were being staged! Looks like they’ve made great progress and there will be a spectacular lift this evening.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »