Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
Traffic there is always especially bad not just because of trains crossing, but because trains typically cross back and forth multiple times before the arms lift and the road becomes passable again. It's a nightmare multiple times a day.

Plus, isn't this intersection typically where all the pedestrian-train collisions that DO happen, happen? Better pedestrian crossing here would be much welcomed

(08-09-2018, 05:39 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Traffic there is always especially bad not just because of trains crossing, but because trains typically cross back and forth multiple times before the arms lift and the road becomes passable again. It's a nightmare multiple times a day.

Plus, isn't this intersection typically where all the pedestrian-train collisions that DO happen, happen? Better pedestrian crossing here would be much welcomed

I don’t know how many collisions happen there, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it were a problem. The long closings give a temptation to try to beat the train, which is a great way to get hurt. I would support a pedestrian/bicycle grade separation. Way less cost than a road overpass.
Agreed, it's a busy crossing especially if trains are shunting (or whatever they call it) back and forth. Seen so many people (pedestrians, bikes, cars) bypass the arms after 10 minutes or so of waiting. And lets face it, even a car doing a u-turn to get out of the mess can pose it's own problems.

The tractor trailers have a hard enough time getting in and out of that scrap metal place next door, imagine any above/below grade crossing would impact access even worse than it is now.

So, if they're going to do the improvements along Lancaster, great. I'm all for it. As long as they get the rest of the construction (a significant number or streets West of Lancaster are closed/under construction for the last few months) done first. And maybe get some ramps opened back up for 85 along with it, since a lot of people use Lancaster as a detour due to the Victoria street bridge closure and the closed ramps to 85.
Reconstruction is still likely 3-5 years away, so Victoria will be long-open by then.
(08-08-2018, 09:12 PM)KevinL Wrote: Ooh, that's a tricky one. Can they get the road under the rail in enough distance from Victoria? They could try raising the rails, but the yard entrance is right there...

There's already a 10+ foot drop from the intersection to the crossing. I'd bet on the road going over, as at Margaret.
The Shell Station and Go Glass can likely handle an overpass. David's Fresh Cut Fries and the scrap yard are going to be hard pressed to have reasonable access regardless of over or under if nothing changes.

To make a grade separation work, I could see David's expropriated and an entrance built to the scrap yard in line with Breithaupt. I could also see quite a backlash happening if David's was expropriated. It has quite a neighbourhood following (and tasty fries too)
Here's one fairly intensive solution (if even plausible):

Close Lancaster for 2 years
Add a third track to the north at a lower elevation (perhaps only a few feet lower than current) going right into the yard from the west
Once the third track is active, lower the middle track to ensure safe passage of through train traffic
Once the second and third track are active, lower the southern track
Build the overpass for traffic on Lancaster at a lower elevation than would have been required

Benefits:
Grade separation
2 tracks cleared for through traffic with a third yard-specific track
Ready for HSR / GO RER / future expansion.

(08-11-2018, 07:03 PM)timio Wrote: The Shell Station and Go Glass can likely handle an overpass.  David's Fresh Cut Fries and the scrap yard are going to be hard pressed to have reasonable access regardless of over or under if nothing changes.

To make a grade separation work, I could see David's expropriated and an entrance built to the scrap yard in line with Breithaupt.  I could also see quite a backlash happening if David's was expropriated.  It has quite a neighbourhood following (and tasty fries too)

It would also be possible for the scrapyard to have an entrance onto Breithaupt at the back of their property...also possible would be Patrick St. in order to avoid heavy trucks on Brethaupt.
Ottawa South from Mill to the expressway has entered a new stage - the last month or so has been utility work on the sides, but it looks like over the weekend they tore up a number of places on the road itself, then re-patched them for this morning. What comes next, I'm not sure.
The piers for the new Franklin St. Bridge over 401 are being exposed (formwork being removed). The North side is already fully exposed and they’re removing elements of the South.
(08-13-2018, 06:06 PM)Canard Wrote: The piers for the new Franklin St. Bridge over 401 are being exposed (formwork being removed). The North side is already fully exposed and they’re removing elements of the South.

I wonder when they're closing the exit from 401-E to Franklyn St. N? Signage says "To be closed" but no date given. Unsure why they even have to close it at all.

Not looking forward to the closure, as I have a client in that area that I need to attend regularly. Best option would be to go through the power centre, but still not as good at the 401.
Yeah, that's "my exit" for work so I'm not looking forward to losing it, but I already have to go back home using the Townline on-ramp, so I guess it's not that much different...

Seems like they're making quick work of it.
They were driving the piles for the centre supports on Friday as I drove past.

Semi-Regular commuting to the east (read: GTA) is terrible in it's soul crushing-ness, but it is fun to see the progress.

This is what happens when you re-open a road too soon after paving works:

This, to me, is as bad as graffiti or vandalism.  It's like painting your living room, then smearing your hands all over the walls before they're dry, rubbing them on the couch, and then sitting back and saying "There!  All done."
[Image: iWKad22.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »