Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
There might be some level between "everything being addressed at once" and studying three street segments a year.

(02-02-2018, 08:11 AM)MidTowner Wrote: There might be some level between "everything being addressed at once" and studying three street segments a year.

Yes, it is called re-building the streets in safer configurations as they come up for re-construction.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(02-02-2018, 09:13 AM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 08:11 AM)MidTowner Wrote: There might be some level between "everything being addressed at once" and studying three street segments a year.

Yes, it is called re-building the streets in safer configurations as they come up for re-construction.

Sounds great to me. That's exactly what I meant when I said that I didn't think it should be done piece meal. I wasn't trying to say that "everything should be addressed at once," as Tom said- just that streets should be built with appropriate traffic calming in place, every time the opportunity presents itself, whether they were one of the three street segments studied annually or not.
(02-02-2018, 09:24 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 09:13 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Yes, it is called re-building the streets in safer configurations as they come up for re-construction.

Sounds great to me. That's exactly what I meant when I said that I didn't think it should be done piece meal. I wasn't trying to say that "everything should be addressed at once," as Tom said- just that streets should be built with appropriate traffic calming in place, every time the opportunity presents itself, whether they were one of the three street segments studied annually or not.

Perfect example is Belmont Ave., part of which was re-built in the pre-existing, very poorly-designed configuration. It’s four lanes when traffic levels don’t appear to justify it, and yet many of the intersections frequently jam up, not badly, but more than one would expect given the traffic levels, due to the absence of appropriate turn lanes. A detailed study would be appropriate, but it seems pretty obvious that two lanes plus turn lanes would have both allowed traffic to flow smoothly and allowed a reduction in total pavement and probably reduced top speeds.
I wonder if some of the volume and aggressive driving on Patricia is as a result of the Belmont Avenue closure last year? Patricia was a heavily used detour during that time, along with Lawrence Avenue.
Does anyone have a link or copy of the highway 8 to 401 westbound study?  I believe it was done in 2009 or so.

You can see it shown in the video here: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/no-timetabl...-1.3681570
Some of the potential changes the region is considering in its Moving Forward master plan can be found on page 84.

Not counting the deferred projects that's $436 million in new roads (almost double what the region spent on Ion).

New expansions that caught my eye are, Victoria (Park to Lawrence), an Elmira by-pass, and Maple Grove realignment now in the 2018-2031 time frame. 

One of the deferrals that caught my eye was the Ottawa extension over the Grand River currently in the beyond 2031 time frame, but not potentially even later.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(02-24-2018, 01:24 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Some of the potential changes the region is considering in its Moving Forward master plan can be found on page 84.

Not counting the deferred projects that's $436 million in new roads (almost double what the region spent on Ion).

New expansions that caught my eye are, Victoria (Park to Lawrence), an Elmira by-pass, and Maple Grove realignment now in the 2018-2031 time frame. 

One of the deferrals that caught my eye was the Ottawa extension over the Grand River currently in the beyond 2031 time frame, but not potentially even later.

If at first you don't succeed ...
I noticed that Fisher Hallman extension (New Dundee Rd to 401 @ Cedar Creek) has been deferred as well.
"Ottawa Street - West of Charles to Mill"

This was just rebuilt for the LRT. They're considering an expansion already?
That is not possible. The houses along here already lost what little yard they had to LRT. There is no more room to grow.
That's true. It would have made more sense to expropriate the properties on one side of Ottawa to make room for the expansion.
Extremely surprised to see they plan to expand Blair Road between Fountain and George. That section of road has never struck me as being bad for traffic or needing to be widened.

Also surprised to see a New Dundee - Dickie Settlement bridge being planned over the 401....

[Image: M83qpTI.png]

I mean, why? To save 30 seconds on your drive for a very small number of people? I'm at the Homer Watson - 401 interchange every day and a very SMALL portion of people turning from New Dundee continue on to Dickie Settlement. What am I missing?

"Extremely surprised to see they plan to expand Blair Road between Fountain and George. That section of road has never struck me as being bad for traffic or needing to be widened."

Yeah unless there is an accident it is never slow through there. Wondering if they are looking at providing bike lanes. In the spring-fall there are a lot of cyclists and most sections aren't very wide with a lot of curves.
(02-26-2018, 10:55 AM)boatracer Wrote: "Extremely surprised to see they plan to expand Blair Road between Fountain and George. That section of road has never struck me as being bad for traffic or needing to be widened."

Yeah unless there is an accident it is never slow through there.  Wondering if they are looking at providing bike lanes.  In the spring-fall there are a lot of cyclists and most sections aren't very wide with a lot of curves.

Whereas a significant expansion of the public transit budget would be a big discussion.

Re: bike lanes, I believe this road is rural in character? If so, a fully separated path would be better, although the path itself should probably have separate pedestrian and bicycle lanes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »